Proper way to check oil level on 7.3 idi

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s he dame filter and bracket. I bought mine nos off eBay so it wasn’t for anything specific. If it’s for an idi it’s perfect as it’s comes with a mandrel you hammer into a valve cover that pierced it. Then has a special screw you thread in that you use for a return. I originally was returning to the oil fill cap but with the banks turbo the cdr sucks right below the cap and when my oil was getting hot and thin it started to actually get sucked up. Too risky of a runaway so I just used what came with the filter

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked mine cold and hot same mark on stick as when cold and same mark on stick hot. simple science molecule don't get bigger when hot just move faster.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checked mine cold and hot same mark on stick as when cold and same mark on stick hot. simple science molecule don't get bigger when hot just move faster.
Well thermal expansion is always a factor, since the molecules are moving around more when hot it increases the volume of the fluid, which is why oil is very runny when hot and gooey when cold. The mass is the same but the volume/density changes

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score

Oils expand as they warm up, what this tells me is either: A) you didn't wait for it to fully drain back before checking hot (full operating temp), B) you burned/leaked the difference, or C) you didn't actually mark the stick accurately enough to truly check.

Formula for oil expansion is: (1+[TxE])xXgal=Ygal
T= temperature differential
E= expansion/°F (.0006/deg F for waste oil fuel)
X= original measurement
Y= Final measurement
So your crankcase starting at 2.5gal at 70°F to an operating temp of 180°F would give us: (1+[110x.0006])x2.5gal= 2.665gal

meaning only minimal changes not massive changes.

I'd consider that a significant change

Now, this is assuming your oil was measured EXACTLY 2.5gal at 70° when it was bottled, and you got every bit out (both rather unlikely). You realistically could have added anywhere from 2.3 to 2.7 gallons when you filled your crankcase due to temperature variances.
Even Porsche has a 1/4" tolerance on their dipstick length to boot, they cover a "safe operating range" from -20°F to operating temp, otherwise you would have one notch saying "This is exactly where your oil level needs to be."
I'll try to remember to take a picture of the shop loader dipstick when I run the checks at work in the morning (1988 Cat 936E) one side has a cold safe starting range which is much lower than the at temperature range on the other side (8.3 gal crankcase).

Aren't math and science fun? I had to learn this when I was making new oil heater storage tanks for an asphalt plant.
They heat oil to a temperature of 600° for their hot oil heaters for the asphalt, so the 1600 gallon capacity tanks were built with a true capacity of 2300 gallons to prevent boil-over.
Mineral oil expands at a rate of .00036/°F.
Crude oil expands at a rate of .00069/°F due to Benzene content.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember to add in the size of oil pan because the Volume it holds increases as you go up and we are only talking about less than an 1/8 of an 1" not noticeable on stick.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is the formula for Volume?
Specific volume of a unit can be expressed as

v = 1 / ρ = V / m (1)

where

v = specific volume (m3/kg)

ρ = density (kg/m3)

V = volume of unit (m3)

m = mass of unit (kg)

The change in the units volume when temperature changes can be expressed as

dV = V0 β (t1 - t0) (2)

where

dV = V1 - V0 = change in volume (m3)

β = volumetric temperature expansion coefficient (m3/m3 oC). plug in the coefficient for oil here?

t1 = final temperature (oC)

t0 = initial temperature (oC)

= No changes on Dip Stick

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This all could be thrown off by another variable. What about the amount of semi solid oil and or carbon deposits inside of oil pan as well, clean oil pan would theoretically hold more then one lined with 1/8 inch or more sludge. Maybe seem not much but amplified by the square footage of our oil pans it could mean a quart of oil different in some situations. On truck new would want a 10qt oil change and a old nasty million mile farm truck may only want 9.5 qts. And if Someone had a dent in their pan? Another little bit there is possible also, and is it possible oil could expand and contract closer to and further from sea level?

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, there's Lots of variable's out there. I just Glad mine hold the proper amount of oil. lol
I just wanted to see if oil changed that much. Read the post and followed the proper way to check oil, because I always checked mine cold! lol
I never owned my own diesel till now, I was thinking about buying one off the lot but, I thought why not get familiar with an old one first. They are simpler to work on and restore to perfect running condition over a short period of time. If you find the right one, and I think I found the one.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Another little bit there is possible also, and is it possible oil could expand and contract closer to and further from sea level?
I don't think elevation would affect the oil, pressure differences aren't high enough.
I know hydraulic oil compresses 0.5%/1000psi, and rule of thumb for air pressure is a drop of .5psi/1000ft increase in elevation.....

Here's a good read on the subject of thermal expansion of oils, Bureau of Standards technological paper #77:
http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/nbstechnologic/nbstechnologicpaperT77.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online