Proper way to check oil level on 7.3 idi

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, there's Lots of variable's out there. I just Glad mine hold the proper amount of oil. lol
I just wanted to see if oil changed that much. Read the post and followed the proper way to check oil, because I always checked mine cold! lol
I never owned my own diesel till now, I was thinking about buying one off the lot but, I thought why not get familiar with an old one first. They are simpler to work on and restore to perfect running condition over a short period of time. If you find the right one, and I think I found the one.
that truck of yours looks awfully familiar. how long have you had it?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 11 quarts in my idis with the fl1995 filter, and it always is at the max level after a heat/cool cycle.

Also I agree about no sludge - I've taken several (working) IDI's apart, never seen any in the oil pan.

One with a blown headgasket, though... lots of gray sludge, but it all seemed to flow.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ford says to check engine oil hot after engine has sat for 15 minutes, so that would be the appropriate way of checking it.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that truck of yours looks awfully familiar. how long have you had it?

Less than a month. I told someone about truck on Craigslist Santa Maria but he had to many problems with the truck; so he sold Her to me. I like the truck, but the only problem it has is the owner who butchered the wiring. I have been working on her for three weeks now and She is Driving down the road now even with the cruise control on. three are a lot of thing to fix but with good advice and competent hands she will run like a dream. Someone said it had a bad head gasket because it over heated. Just a bad thermostat I did radiator pressure test on her and confirmed, bad thermostat. changed it and sent the new owner of the truck, on his way. Now I need to work on glow plugs for the first start of the day. It is a long crank but will fire up at 650 idle but takes two tries that way. Runs clod at 650 rpm need new Idle up control.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Less than a month. I told someone about truck on Craigslist Santa Maria but he had to many problems with the truck; so he sold Her to me. I like the truck, but the only problem it has is the owner who butchered the wiring. I have been working on her for three weeks now and She is Driving down the road now even with the cruise control on. three are a lot of thing to fix but with good advice and competent hands she will run like a dream. Someone said it had a bad head gasket because it over heated. Just a bad thermostat I did radiator pressure test on her and confirmed, bad thermostat. changed it and sent the new owner of the truck, on his way. Now I need to work on glow plugs for the first start of the day. It is a long crank but will fire up at 650 idle but takes two tries that way. Runs clod at 650 rpm need new Idle up control.
i seen the truck on CL. you got yourself a helluva deal :D

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 11 quarts in my idis with the fl1995 filter, and it always is at the max level after a heat/cool cycle.

Also I agree about no sludge - I've taken several (working) IDI's apart, never seen any in the oil pan.

One with a blown headgasket, though... lots of gray sludge, but it all seemed to flow.
any 15w40 is a good quality oil. One would really need to go overboard with oil changes to get a hd diesel oil to sludge up.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i seen the truck on CL. you got yourself a helluva deal :D

I wished I was the one that bought the truck first. But my friend towed her back to my place and I got her up and running in a couple of weeks. Did a compression test and looked good, put an injector seal kit in, and most important thing changed the Oil because someone put coolant in the oil. It went strait to the oil filter, but I did that first. I used 5w20 to clean out the motor before doing a proper oil change. Once running my friend and I took her out on the road. The truck ran great but after a short time it started frying wires, not starting, dying and running like Crxx. Then my friend sold the truck to me. ;burnout:Thumbs Up

You must be registered for see images attach

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s he dame filter and bracket...
Nice, I will try to hunt one down. Got my donaldson filter, just need the bypass filter and some oil!
I'm guessing I'll need 4 gallons of oil, i just have to pick the oil first.

SO far its down to either Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck Synthetic or Blue Diamond 5W-40. Never heard of viscosity boosters or what have you, but that Frantz website bundles TBN booster with their 100k kits.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's this Donaldsons filter? just a regular oilfilter, or a whole special setup???

It's an oversized filter. Some guys have put it on without issues I think but others have trimmed the frame for clearance. You'll probably find it with a search. I'm thinking @Sidewinded_idi did a recent-ish thread on it?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I read it.
That's a nogo for me, I guess I love too much my frame...
though with a oilfilter relocating kit that might work?