Proper fluid in the ZF 5 Speed

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
here's the definitive guide to ZF lube requirements.......(POKE HERE) when you are done reading this you should be throughly confused then. :D
:confused:

Actually, the information is straightfoward for the most part...one question's raised, though. The link says that "D.I.T." S5-42's need to use synthetic oil while all other S5-42's can use dino oil. My guess would be that "D.I.T." refers to the PowerChoke, but I thought that all darkside rigs used the S5-47 tranny?

I agree that synthetic can't do any harm to an S5-42, though...I wanted to run dino for a few thousand miles after the rebuild before switching to synthetic, but I plan to change over soon. I've been noticing a bit of resistance going into 3rd over the last couple of days; hoping the synthetic will make that go away (-cuss blondes!! The tranny shifted like a dream before I let her drive it... ;Pissed object lesson learned, eh?)

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
wait 'till Tanya sees that comment....... :eek:
You're right; I made too much of a generalization...edited the thread to be somewhat more accurate (even though the g/f doesn't have blonde hair at the moment, she has the intellectual capacity of one)...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I guess either you are a man or a woman some things are just not meant to be given to anyone and is not a matter of trust.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
forgot to add...
early chokers ran our trans. easiest way to figure them out is the lack of a speedo output. They took their speedo sig off the rearend. A non issue for the 4X4 trans since the output on on the transfer case.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
forgot to add...
early chokers ran our trans. easiest way to figure them out is the lack of a speedo output. They took their speedo sig off the rearend. A non issue for the 4X4 trans since the output on on the transfer case.
How early's "early"? Was it just the '94.5's, or did they use it for a while in '95 as well? I also thought for some reason that ALL '92+ trucks took their speedo readings off the rear end (part of the ABS function and whatnot)...although I'm guessing that's wrong :)

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Used to service a fleet of Ford forestry trucks with the zfs and we always ran syn gear oil. Not ATF. Trucks got better mileage after they switched and fewer rebuilds. All rebuilds were done at the dealership which is a story in its self but the point is using the factory recomended ATF and in the newer trucks syn ATF these trucks had several failures. Believe it or not in 03 three of the ten new trucks had failures in less than 10k. The main problem we saw was the fill plug did not allow enough fluid to supply 5th gear. I have seen many fixes for that but quikest was to jack up the D side of the truck only to fill. Most lube places and shops do the work from a lift which does not allow for this. So other means are required.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magoo said:
The main problem we saw was the fill plug did not allow enough fluid to supply 5th gear. I have seen many fixes for that but quikest was to jack up the D side of the truck only to fill. Most lube places and shops do the work from a lift which does not allow for this. So other means are required.
I've actually heard of overfilling a tranny in this manner before, although usually referring to the Getrag 5 speed that Dodge used with the 1st Gen Cummins. It makes sense to me offhand...but I wouldn't call myself an expert. Be interesting to see the feedback on this...

But, the question is, how much extra fluid should go in? A full extra quart, or just a pint, or just jack up the driver's side of the truck until it looks like it's about to roll over altogether, fill up to the fill plug, and call it good? ;)

Thanks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a solid flywheel, that 90wt. might have been put in there in order to sell it to you. cookoo Some would hear gear roll-over noise, and walk away.

I run 2 gallons of 30Wt. in mine.

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil fill?

I am installing a ZF5 in my truck right now. Where is the best spot to fill this thing from? The side or the top?
I havent put the floor plate on yet so I can use the shifter hole ;Sweet

I am using a solid flywheel so I plan on using the 30wt. oil to keep the noise down a bit :Sly

Sorry to Hi-jack the thread.

Thanks, Eric

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can fill it from the top, that would be best. Getting those last 2 quarts in when your running 2 gallons of 30wt. is a bit tricky. I use a pump to push it in, and then fast reflexes to put the plug in, but you still get hosed a bit.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its just a tid bit of fluid, i fill them from the top, i leave the top plug off then wait till it pours out then put the plug back in, thats normally when the zf is out of the truck, and im using mecron to, so a different ball game. i heard that you should in no way or form put some 90 weight in the ZF's as they will eventually lock up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel