Progressively harder to start

Csgod0

Reaction score
I'm new to my IDI. maybe had it 3 months, and its my first diesel. I love this thing for real. It took me forever to stop freaking out over the mechanical injector noise ( thought something was broken LOL)

The issue i've been having lately is that its getting hard and harder to start. Originally it was weak cranking over because of mostly flat and mismatched batteries ( one 650cca and one 700). Fixed that with 2 850s. It smoked a small amount of blue smoke at startup, then never did it again throughout the day. After awhile, it would smoke alittle after sitting for a few hours, once again blue smoke, not white.

Now its gotten to the point that my first morning startup, she goes to start, then stalls. I have to roll it over twice, and give it alittle pedal to keep it going until it balances out. It now seems like it likes to puff alittle smoke at every startup, not just cold mornings.

its always ran kinda jankety for the first 10-15 seconds, then all cylinders come to life. I attributed that to the cold weather, but now I'm thinking otherwise.

not really knowing whats up, I have a feeling there's excess fuel sitting in the cylinders thats not firing and causing it to run rough until it all settles out and idles as it warms up. Me thinks possibly leaky injectors that are getting progressively worse?

ODO says 96K, and I have the original title to prove its most likely correct, but I have no idea the condition of the engine or IP. I need to take it to a diesel garage and have it baseline inspected, being that this is all new and foreign to me. Having a C6 and 4.10, it lives its life near or above 3k most of the time :(

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like either injectors or glow plugs to me. Have the glow plugs tested. How long does the wait to start lite burn. Have you been running any fuel additive. If not buy some and double dose it on one tank full.. Or remove the fuel filter and fill it with atf fluid. Run it for about 2 minutes and shut it off. This will get atf in all of the pump passages and injectors. This acts like a cleaner ans sometimes frees upa sticky system. To test the plugs remove the wire connecters and touch the plugs with a test lite from the positive of one battery. If the tester lites up the plug is ok. Replace the plugs with only Motorcraft Beru plugs... Anything else will not last long and sometimes causes lots of removel issues.

Csgod0

Reaction score
glow plugs were supposively replaced last year. WTS light lasts between 9-15 seconds, depending on if its first start of the day or lunchtime. I usually run KleenDiesel in my tanks, about 8 oz. I'll try some ATF to see if maybe I have a gunky system. I really started to drive it daily during the winter, where I followed startup guidelines by depressing the pedal in while starting.

i just went to lunch an hour ago, and no pedal just glow it started without smoke or issues. idles about 600.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
It sounds like it could be an air intrusion, if not injectors. After she stalls when you first fire it up does it take like 10 seconds of cranking to get it to fire? That would mean air in present, or if your return line caps are leaking. I wouldn't be too worried about the blue smoke on startup, she probably needs a valve job, or if you don't mind dumping in an additional quart in between oil changes that's fine too and is usually the course of action. If its like a gallon in between, Id do something about it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
How many miles on the fuel system? blue smoke could be related to a leaking injector, have You ever had the IP properly timed? Do You run any fuel additive? I like to use 2stroke oil. The white smoke at start up wouldn't worry Me but if it stalls it definitely is something like air, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc.

Csgod0

Reaction score
93k now on the fuel system, but it towed at least a 4 horse trailer for most of its life. Never had the IP timed yet. Funny, I took Icanfixalls advice, and tossed in a hella lot of Power Service Kleen Diesel, and some ATF into a new full tank, damn thing runs like a kitty and this morning it barely smoked at startup. *shrug* idk, its like shes a finicky old woman, have to treat her nice. That and the weather in Cincinnati blows right now, and I can never have a controlled enviroment to work in. I dont believe its a leaky injector return because the top of the engine itself is free of any wet spots, especially around the injectors themselves.

I've also checked the fuel filter for any leaks. I think it just might be gunky injectors, which is getting pounded with high additive diesel and ATF.

Bottom line, it runs and gets me where I need to go, but I get off and on symptoms

Csgod0

Reaction score
93k now on the fuel system, but it towed at least a 4 horse trailer for most of its life. Never had the IP timed yet. Funny, I took Icanfixalls advice, and tossed in a hella lot of Power Service Kleen Diesel, and some ATF into a new full tank, damn thing runs like a kitty and this morning it barely smoked at startup. *shrug* idk, its like shes a finicky old woman, have to treat her nice. That and the weather in Cincinnati blows right now, and I can never have a controlled enviroment to work in. I dont believe its a leaky injector return because the top of the engine itself is free of any wet spots, especially around the injectors themselves.

I've also checked the fuel filter for any leaks. I think it just might be gunky injectors, which is getting pounded with high additive diesel and ATF.

Bottom line, it runs and gets me where I need to go, but I get off and on symptoms

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If the cleaner took care of it, it's a leaky injector that was sticking. With that mileage the injectors are at about end of normal service life so it's due for a new set. Contact type4 on the list for a set.

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont believe its a leaky injector return because the top of the engine itself is free of any wet spots, especially around the injectors themselves.
/QUOTE]

Air is smaller particals than diesel, its entirely possible to have air leak in while it sits even though you never see a trace of leaked diesel. Are all the lines tight on the injection pump? Mostly the big one in the middle.
nate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online