Priming Fuel Pumps

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of points folks often forget.....

1) Disconnect your glow plug relay, or otherwise disable your glow plugs!

2) Disconnect the IP fuel return until you get fuel there

3) Take your glow plugs out if you're having problems with your mechanical pump getting fuel to your IP, so your cranking draws less power.

4) Do the electric fuel pump mod!

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the fuel pump block off. orielly had it. 5 bucks for the plate and gasket. cant beat that.

im still waiting on my fuel pump, i paid for it on 4-25 on ebay and i still have not recieved it yet. im getting impatient, especially since the seller is located no more than 4 or 5 hrs from me. i took the mechanical fuel pump off and it looked like it was full of oil/pumping oil..

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah called the place and they said it was on backorder, yet they were still selling them. said they would call me back with an eta. if i dont hear back from them by thursday, they are getting ******* at.

the orielly beside my work has holley red fuel pumps, so im just going to pick one of those up on friday after work, i have to get a new wiper motor anyway. this pump is pretty much the last piece i need to get it started. i have the weekend off so i should be able to do something then.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok wired up a holley red pump. couple things...its leaking out the first injector, guessing its a bad seal, should replace those.

second, i think i burned out my relay, what could cause this? did i wire it up wrong? and by burnt out, i mean it had a little smoke coming off of it.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update: got a real relay, the one i had was not a constant duty one..it was one of those horn/antenna/etc relays..yeah they dont last long with constant power. i have fuel up to the line going into the IP, but i cant seem to get the fuel to the injector lines. i did not disconnect the fuel return though, which is what i plan on doing next. anyone experience this?

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which one is the fuel shutoff solenoid one fo the two connectors on the top of the IP above the rad hose?? if its on the ip both are plugged in.. damn it i didnt even think of that.

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep the ones on the ip, correct me if I am wrong guys but the back one is the shutoff? See if you are getting power to it with a multimeter or test light. the other connector there is for the cold timing advance