Pressure Washing Engine Compartment

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any problems doing this? Anyone have a old secret to it? I have a turbo and was wondering about the holes in the intake. But i think ill stay on the side of the engine and below. Any good detergents? DO it cold or warm? I think i will wrap alternator and GP controller. Anything else? Thanks guys! Wondering how truckers do it?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend it. Getting water in the electrical connectors and connections is not a good thing. It takes time, but if you want the underhood to look pretty, take rag soaked with wd40 and start wiping everything down with it.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok first get your motor to running temp and then shut it down and bag up your air filter get a strong degreaser and then coat everything you want really good start the engine do not bag altenator its fine gp controller is fine leave it as well BAG AIR FILTER IS A MUST then let sit a min or two the pressure wash the best you can then have an air hose ready to blow out all the plugs fittings ect. blow all very well take for a test drive dont shut it down tell your back dont have to go far then you can wait for it to dry completly and repeat process if needed and if you do not let it dry completly your degreaser will not work as well as it could thats about it i also do this process daily at the shop on all cars mercady bmw corvette all of emm and there fine it comes in our details that we do only time you worry is if the car has points you then bag distributer and wires

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Soak it with Simple Green for a bit, then rinse. Like franklin said- don't put high pressure right on connectors.

I use oven cleaner on really onery grease, but you need gloves, goggles and it can eat through your paint... must be used with care.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you let it soak for long enough it cuts the grease but not long enough to dry i can post a picture of my engine compartment and its nice and clean and im willing to bet my wires are in worse shape than yours and should not be cleaned but i do it every 4 to 6 months about 2 times a year

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All great stuff. Yeah Devon Harley could you do that? That would be great! I think i will stick to simple green and just do it repeatedly until she is as clean as i would like her. Thanks guys!

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trying to down load it now having troubles if you can get pictures via text i can send you one all you can pm me your number if that helps if not all have it on here asap the air hose to finish it off is where people go wrong all the time its a must really have to blow out all conections very well and blow out altenator ect. and use best judgement as most dont you dont have to stand there with the trigger wide open shooting water all in them you use swift meaningfull swipes left to right quickly and try to make only 1 or 2 passed at a time one the top of the engine and let it dry and start over later you can not keep getting it wet for 2 hours tell you have it spot less and you will have found trouble then I am a certified meguiars detailer i took test at one of there main locations in Orange County California