Pressure driven ‘fuge VS. Gravity ‘fuge

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to be buying a new centrifuge ASAP, like next month. Was mostly gonna get pabiodiesel kit. Now I’ve found a nice second hand gravity centrifuge for a decent price.
I understand that on a pressure driven unit, you leave it running and recirculating.
On gravity type how do you get a second pass? Gotta pump it back up top again for re-gravity?

spanky1205

Reaction score
I believe one of the benefits of using a gravity centrifuge is you do not have to make a second pass. Take that with a grain of salt as I have never used any of them. PA Biodiesel had a number of videos explaining the different between their centrifuges and the benefits and draw backs of them. You could probably watch those and at least gain a better understanding.

Armo

Reaction score
Gravity feed is ment for a single pass. You are using lower flows its pretty much a calculation of time spent in the centrifuge for how clean it gets so high flows mean less clean time in the fuge. I use a super trickle flow where it takes at least 24 hours to make 50 gallons of clean stuff. I don't heat the oil and most times don't cut it unless its all heavy gear oil. I just set the flow and come back to clean oil. It runs a long time between needed cleanings though cleaning can be messy cause the bowl holds oil. One draw back is if you lose power some centrifuges out their have a design where if it doesn't spin it drains it into a bypass so the dirty wont dump into your clean batch but some fuges don't so if the power dies so does your clean oil.
I own a gravity feed setup and wouldn't go any other way even after a month settle period, a flow through 5 micron absolute filters, and a water separation filter I find crud and water droplets in my centrifuge.

Coopons

Reaction score
I'm running a little 55gph unit from pa bio diesel and it works well. It does recirculate and takes multiple passes to get my oil clean. I would like to buy one of there gravity fed units when funds allow.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got my new 108 gph pa biodiesel fuge on the way to me. Soon to be oilin on the cheap again :Thumbs Up.

My last filtration setup was a filter style, it worked good for me at the time. After about 3 years it needed too much work to justify fixing vs buying a centrifuge like I really should have the first time. Live and learn.:bail