Pre roadtrip checklist?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry my jump box with compressor(won't start it but if you are close and just need a little extra or loose an alternator and need to keep the FSS open a few more miles also gives you an extra way to charge a phone in a pinch), a 4 way and a basic set hog hand tools when I travel. Couple rolls of tape and some zip ties are a must. A couple tie downs can be useful even as a tow strap in a pinch. Roll of paper towls and tp. I carry a bottle jack in the truck. I always have a qt of oil and a couple bottles of water too. Blanket or old tarp is useful again depending on the climate. Oh yeah, and my wife with her AAA card is never a bad thing. She travels by herself enough it's worth it.

Just remember, you can't plan for everything. Good general maintenance is really your best friend. If you've kept up the old girl, she probably won't let you down.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're passing through southern illlinois you have a full shop and a knowledgeable gearhead if you break down.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good suggestions but I will add one more: inspect your rubber brake hoses. You mentioned you changed front calipers so you looked at those hoses, but check the rear hose too. I looked at mine the other day and ordered some! Cracks in the outer rubber.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm less careful. If the truck starts, I go.

If it were just me I wouldn't be as worried about it.....I just see it as an adventure. However, my wife doesn't share the same perspective. She already has her doubts about taking the van on the trip because "It's old so it's gonna break". That along with the fact we will have another family with us means I need to be thorough.

I can deal with something breaking, but I don't want to deal with the wife's reaction to something breaking.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All great advice. I make pretty sure all the maintenance and wear parts are up to date. I have a portable jumpstarter I will probably take. It has helped if I am right on the edge of being able to start with low batteries. Hand tools will be brought as well, along with replacement fluids and belt. I also have roadside assistance through my insurance that I could use if needed.

We are pulling a small 4x8 trailer to hold all the luggage, so I should have a decent amount of room for some van supplies.......though I think all will be fine. I have taken a number of trips in the van the past few months as shake down runs, including an 8 hour and a 12 hour one. Figured if something was gonna break it would be on those trips.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were just me I wouldn't be as worried about it.....I just see it as an adventure. However, my wife doesn't share the same perspective. She already has her doubts about taking the van on the trip because "It's old so it's gonna break". That along with the fact we will have another family with us means I need to be thorough.

I can deal with something breaking, but I don't want to deal with the wife's reaction to something breaking.
when I did my MI run in 2012, most of the cars on the open stretches of the interstate was six or less model years old. the trucks of our vintage looked like they were local runners only.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're passing through southern illlinois you have a full shop and a knowledgeable gearhead if you break down.

Thanks for the offer. I was in southern Illinois not too long ago to pick up some seats for the van. About 30 minutes from Mt Vernon.
This trip will bypass Illinois though.

Repack the bearings on that trailer!

Thanks. Did that last week and have a grease gun to squirt some in via the zerks from time to time.