powerstroke vs. cummins?

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi all, im in a bind and would like some some input from the powerstroke crowd. first off im an unemployed autotechnician with LIMITED FUNDS and a ford guy through and through and with that said here we go. im an owner of a 92 w350 4x4 dually and love its simplicity and it is a cummins powered truck. the truck is rusted beyond any chance of me affording to fix it. i also have a wife and kids and there is no room in that club cab dodge. now i posted it on craigs list and received a call from a gentleman in N.C. saying he was interested in the truck and wants to buy it for what im asking for it. he has access to a 95 crew cab 4x4 f350 auto and is willing to trade with a little cash his way. my problem is what are the pros and cons of powerstroke ownership. i know the cost of parts and repair are hire but i can fix most things myself saving on labor. i would like to hear from you. my truck needs major rust repair,suspenion, and resealing engine/trans gaskets. also the guy said the truck needs a few misc. pieces and an injection pump

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the sounds of it.. yer truck has one foot in the coffin, and kicking dirt with the other, right?

What do ya have to lose?

Most guys will tell ya they love their PSD's.. I aint never had one, but I tend to prefer mechanically injected diesels, cheaper when they break.

The love that I had for my crew cab F350, would let me look past my fear/loathing of a PSD and do the trade.. Amazing pickups.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i love the simplicity of the mechanical injection truck but i cant complain about my old powerstroke either.

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys,i have been looking for a crew cab for a while now and the fact that the truck is from the south makes it even easier for me to make up my mind. i also still have my 95 gasser for now too as a back up truck.

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Im totally sold on the cummins. I had a 97 cc 7.3 and it would run a hole in the wind.WHEN IT WAS RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have the cummins and it only takes one wire to make it run and Im gettin 23mpg out of a F350 dually ext.cab.

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would love to take a cummins and drop it in a f series but the funds are low. when the wife gets out of school in 2yrs(going to be an RN) and i get back on my feet then maybe the chance will be there for me to do that.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he has access to a 95 crew cab 4x4 f350 auto and is willing to trade with a little cash his way.

How much cash, and is he going to drive up to RI so that you know it's driveable. Ask for several pic's of it. That way you would know if the E4OD is OK.

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes he sent pics and the body and bed are for the most really straight,the interior needs a good cleaning and he will bring it up here to RI. its his bosses truck and hes trying to talk him down but its at a 1000.00 plus my truck. i paid 4000 back in april so im taking a loss for what im asking but i can recoup some money back from the plow which he dosent want. also it has a rebuilt or newer trans and far as i know he said it needs an injection pump which i guess means it needas a hpop. correct? im calling him later to get morte detailed info.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a HPOP from Oregon Fuel Injector o-f-i.com. If you would need one.
7.3L Ford Powerstroke up to serial number 201680 , High Pressure Oil Pump ( Reman ) fits 1994, 1995 Same as F4TZ9VA543AARM, + $150.00 core F4TZ9A543BRM $405.00

Wondering why he thinks it needs an HPOP. May be just O'rings on the injectors, or an IPR (Injector Pressure Regulator).

7.3 L Ford Powerstroke Diesel Injection Control Pressure Sensor, ICP, (up to engine s/n 375548) fits 1994, 1995, 1996 HTS103 $191.94

Last edited:

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats why im going to get more detailed info. he said it needed a ip and said he found one from some place in new york and give me the info on it,400.00 was the cost of the pump. but the no rust issue is a plus.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Personally I think your truck is worth more than the $2500.00 you are asking. It would be nice to keep the Dodge and put the Cummins in the F350,..but thats just me,..

The PSD looks good and the Rust Free is a definite plus, Good luck with the transaction!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron