Powerstroke turbo

waynebo

Reaction score
Powerstroke turbo on idi

Anyone put a powerstroke turbo on a 6.9 idi,i have a 1984 f-350 dump truck and need more power to pull my frontend loader and trailer.The engine ain't new by any means but runs well,use a good bit of oil.I bought a power stroke turbo off ebay for $190.00 included shipping,when i have time i will build my on exhaust system and plumb the oiling.Its a waste gate garrett turbo.waynebo :draw

Last edited:

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
there was a guy over on FTE that put one on a 7.3 idi.had pics up of it and stuff.as i recall there wound up being alot of piping above the engine that would make maintanice a hassle,but it did look pretty good when done. ;Sweet ,not sure what he did about the extra boost and stuff though? :confused:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
there was a guy over on FTE that put one on a 7.3 idi.had pics up of it and stuff.as i recall there wound up being alot of piping above the engine that would make maintanice a hassle,but it did look pretty good when done. ;Sweet ,not sure what he did about the extra boost and stuff though? :confused:

There is also a fellow BOOB member and poster on TDS who just recently did it. I believe that man is known as Woodie. You might look him up.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I did it on a 89 7.3l the turbo came off a 96 t444e which is navistars designation for the powerstroke. The boost levels were fine never went over 15 psi balls to the wall non wastegated. I have a wastegated one that is going on soon. Runs well.

Here are some pics from the basic mock up. Before the intercooler and ram air was installed looks better under the hood with the maifold plumbed for propane, CDR valve and all mounted.

Attachments

• IMG0180.JPG
    IMG0180.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG0174.JPG
    IMG0174.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG0176.JPG
    IMG0176.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG0181.JPG
    IMG0181.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG0179.JPG
    IMG0179.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

waynebo

Reaction score
Rkoch did you gain worth while power or is it one of those i think it pulls better,but not really sure.If the gains aren't there i don't know if i want to go through all the hassel of doing it,waynebo :thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
waynebo said:
Rkoch did you gain worth while power or is it one of those i think it pulls better,but not really sure.If the gains aren't there i don't know if i want to go through all the hassel of doing it,waynebo :thumbsup:

I thought the purpose of going after a PSD turbo, was they are cheap and plentiful. Power should be the same as any other kit.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
waynebo said:

You bet! It runs like a bat out of hell much faster accl times 4 mpg better millage and no smoke now. It was well worth it. The most boost I ever pulled was 15 and that was going up a mountain at 55 mph with a trailer that was about 22,000 lbs. normally I could only do 30 on that same run.

waynebo

Reaction score
Thats great,my problem is pulling the slight,but yet power draining hills we have in northwest florida,i sometimes wind up in 2nd gear and blowing smoke at 10 mph,even 1st gear sometimes.Its embarassing as hell,people get pissed as all get out when they get stuck behind me.Fuel mileage increase would be a side benefit,a good one nowwa days as fuel is becoming such a burden on the average folk,waynebo,p.s i can't wait too get started,i'm still cleaning up after hurrican ivan,so it will be a while ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.