Power steering situation

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, took the truck through the neighborhood. Couple observations.

1. Steering is considerably heavy to the left compared to the right. Right feels normal.

2. Hydroboost felt really tight at first and went toward more erratic.

Thoughts?? Air maybe? Steering box is a brand new red head.

Thanks

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it always heavy or is it only occasional? The only time I've ever seen that happen was a badly clogged spooler not letting fluid through on one side of the box.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to always be heavy to the left. I'm not sure if it's getting worse or if I've just not noticed. I've put less than a mile on it so far.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A few years back, I put a new pressure line on a guy's 1995 Dodge 3/4 ton for him. He said it took two weeks of driving for all the air to work out of the system. You most likely need to go A LOT farther than a mile.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less that a mile make sure it's totally bled of air which can take a bit with a new box.

Seems to always be heavy to the left. I'm not sure if it's getting worse or if I've just not noticed. I've put less than a mile on it so far.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll not panic yet. I topped the fluid off. It wasn't really low. I'll give it some time. Brakes firmed back up. I suppose it might still be working the air out.

Thanks for the input.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn the wheel lock to lock, many times. This will purge the air out.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering what's the right way to purge these things? How about cars?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took it out the the parking lot and did some circles in both directions at full lock. Seems like I have very slightly less turning radius to the left. I mean very slightly. That seems like it could be normal. The thing needs aligned too. Hell I haven't even put a tape measure on it. Need to rotate the tires and do that. Fronts are worn from the old ttb front.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. Sounds like trapped air in the system. Try doing as already posted to rid the air. Going lock to lock has always done it for me.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lift front end off ground both wheels...place securly on jack stands.

Fire up truck and slowyly turn lock to lock no weight on front end...keep that going for bout 10 min and press barke pedal on off too.

Its been my easy way to remove air......after vacuum priming the steering box first that is.

JM7.3CW Eh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online