Power Steering Question -- while I have my A/C compressor off

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My PS pump is leaking bad. I cant find the source of the leak because it is caked in oil. I want to go ahead and get it replaced:

PS Pump + Pulley (mine is lopsided) + High Pressure Fitting + Return Fitting + Filter

I can get everything replaced for about $170 from NAPA or any other chain..

Should I go ahead and do it since everything is right there infront of me? Or is this a job on its own?
Should I just go ahead and upgrade to hydroboost?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
It is pretty easy while you have things apart. Just buy the PS pump for an F-Superduty (often mistakenly called an F450) and cap the extra port till you get around to the hydroboost.

I have had issues with the o ring on the PS pump outlet filling before. It has several orings on it, and one seals the reservior to the outlet filling and will seep when the engine is off. That one can be fixed without pulling pump.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any wierdness with NAPA reman pumps? The crazy part is, I have to take it off first in order to tell if it is a metric or sae thread pump.. Thanks FORD!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any wierdness with NAPA reman pumps? The crazy part is, I have to take it off first in order to tell if it is a metric or sae thread pump.. Thanks FORD!

I'm not a NAPA fan myself for reman..Oh wait, I'm NOT a reman fan at all.

As yer sig has no info on truck we don't know year and such to comment much.

I'd go with a hi performance rebuild from PSC or some one similar.

Also if you can..do hydroboost now. Yer in fer the penny pay the pound and be done with it all while flushing system of old fluid and such you'll be happy you did both!

JM2CW

Al

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you I know which PS pump I have? Metric Fitting? Standard Fitting? Does it even matter if you replace the HIGH Pressure and return lines?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you I know which PS pump I have? Metric Fitting? Standard Fitting? Does it even matter if you replace the HIGH Pressure and return lines?
Matters cause your steering box matters...the other end! Take them in with you and make the parts IDIOT behind the counter happy...KISS right!

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured.. This will be a dirty job tonight that's for sure. It was leaking so bad that it got my pan dirty.

As far as I can tell, I only had two oil leaks.. Oil plug was leaking because of the crush washer, and a massive power steering leak that caked the oil pan, and every part on the front axle that it could reach.

Dirty job for sure.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is down for maintenance, and can't move since the compressor is off.. Instead, I am bringing the car wash to me =)
Should be fun to snap a few pictures of the dirty job... keep ya posted.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dirty job in deed... is it possible for the steering box to leak also? there was so much crap caked on that it is so hard to tell where the oil was leaking from.. how can i check if steering box is leaking?
i was thinking maybe some uv dye pushed with air compressor?

and i wonder now, my 15mm flare nut wrench does not fit, and 17mm fits loose.. does it mean this is a "standard" unit?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rent a pressure washer clean that ****** but good...NO GREAT!! and you will be so much happier to inspect etc.

As for testing PS box for leaks...hook it up to the pump and turn turn turn baby! That is only way I know of, I don't think air pressure and fluid would show much of anything.

If box is leaking you can reseal them yourself. Or get a quality reman like RED HEAD steering gear model. As for flare nut size, try std and see if it fits if so there is your answer.

Take pics and post em too..

Al

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with Red Head Steering, and their unit is $266 versus re-seal kit at $40 or CARDONE pump for $94 after core. Any experience with CARDONE units?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So long as your box is tight and not sloppy and you are comfortable/capable of doing a full reseal go for it. If sloppy, I can't say enough about Red Head...GOOD STUFF...worth the price of admission!

As for a Cardone pump NO experience. What does Red Head recommend for a pump just out of curiosity?

I either go get new O rings for my pump fittings and body/reservoir or off to a wrecker and get a used pump. I tend to like buying used if in nice condition.

Also if I have to buy from parts store, I do my best to get the BEST product I can be it AGR, PSC, or some other well known product. I'm not for cheapnese or cheapexico remans I tend to stay away from that stuff myself when I can as it's not worth the investment in time and $$ from me to have to do the job all over again in a few days/months due to failure or a "Lifetime" warranty!

Just my observations but others may find different.

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle