Power steering pump adjustment bolt

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found my first surprise from a previous owner on the '86 F-250 truck. At some point the adjustment bolt for the power steering pump was replaced with a 5/16 bolt and maybe a nut(that end is currently AWOL). I discovered this starting the truck up the other morning and found no tension on the power steering belt and half a bolt hanging. Looks like the service manual calls for a part # 370608 which seems to be a 1" 3/8-16 flanged hex bolt. Is that the correct size? If so I think my next project will be some thread repair on the adjusting bracket since the threads seem to fit but are otherwise stripped out.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
1" seems a little short, but I could be wrong on that one. 3/8 is the right bolt size and 16 should be the pitch. I think you got it!

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is actually 3/4". The plate it bolts through is about 0.19" so that seems to leave a reasonable amount on the other side. Now I have to figure out if I can drill it out and add an insert without removing the whole thing. Kinda fear not. Think I'll have to unbolt the pump and remove the whole bracket.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the job done today. Was able to remove the battery and PS pivot bolt to get enough room to drill and tap for a helicoil. Also removed the air intake brace for a little extra room. Installed my headlight relay harness while I had one battery out already.

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found my first surprise from a previous owner on the '86 F-250 truck. At some point the adjustment bolt for the power steering pump was replaced with a 5/16 bolt and maybe a nut(that end is currently AWOL). I discovered this starting the truck up the other morning and found no tension on the power steering belt and half a bolt hanging. Looks like the service manual calls for a part # 370608 which seems to be a 1" 3/8-16 flanged hex bolt. Is that the correct size? If so I think my next project will be some thread repair on the adjusting bracket since the threads seem to fit but are otherwise stripped out.
I know this thread is several yrs old but i am searching for the bolts that hold the power steering bracket and A/C to the block, been told 3/8 and 7/16 i believe it was only problem is length and pitch, from this possibly 16 is the pitch.. these bolts were missing from a PO im sure not him as he had the truck at a mechanic whom apparently had a pocket of extra bolts when it went back to the PO...

thanks guys.. any help is greatly appreciated..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance