power steering, oil pressure gauge problems

dmill

Reaction score
Well, I recently bought a 93 w250 with a 5 speed, and it has a few problems. The first is that the power steering does not work. The pump has fluid in it, but like I said, there's no power steering whatsoever. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking I need a new pump. Am I on the right track? Is there something I should check before I get a new pump? I've read alot about buying this pump or that one, but auto zone has one for 47 bucks with a lifetime warranty, so that's pretty tempting. Also, are there any out of the ordinary procedures I need to know about while changing the pump?

Second, the oil pressure gauge doesn't work. The wiring looks to be intact, and the wires are hooked up to the sending unit. Is there anything else to check, or should I just get a new sending unit? Also, I was wondering if somebody knew of an easy place to tap into to install a manual oil pressure gauge.

Thanks, and sorry for so many questions!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, lots of good information here. In regards to your oil pressure sending unit, you can always put a tee in the stock location and run an additional gage off of the tee in the stock location.

Don't have any input for your power steering, but I'm sure you'll get some.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck ;Sweet

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the power steering pump goes either its worn out or the drive dogs off of the vacuum pump broke or the drive dogs broke on the power steering pump broke or both. Youll find out pretty quick what the case is. As far as the autozone pump sometimes they work great but sometimes you get what you pay for and may be replacing it more than you want to. If your vacuum pump is leaking or the drive dogs are broken off talk to Pete Gould at Gould gear and electric, heres his website.
http://www.fixinrams.com/

-Jordan-

dmill

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys-I'll get down and dirty with the steering pump first thing tomorrow.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
An easy check on the oil pressure sensor is to replace it. They are notoriously prone to failure. I replaced mine a short time back and within a thousand miles it's failing. It will read right when cold and one warmed up it will read accurate pressure but when hot and I return to idle the gauge goes to 0 pressure (but no idiot light or buzzer).