Power steering not working...

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
So on my '85, I'm trying to figure out why I have no power steering assist. I have a brand new pump, and it's not leaking anywhere. But, I have no assist from it at all, even though I've turned the wheels full travel both directions at least 10 times now. It doesn't even whine like pumps with low fluid or air in the system. Tomorrow I'm going to take off both my pressure lines and see if there's any obstructions, but for the life of me I don't know what else to look for. Anyone else have any ideas? Or have similar problems?

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-what-I-saved-from-becoming-a-cube&highlight=
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59318-85-F250-progress!!&highlight=

Last edited:

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only guess is that you still have alot of air in the system. The fact that you don't have any whine is weird though. When you look in the PS reservoir is there a bunch of foam? Maybe you got a bad pump?? Did you try jacking the front of the truck up so the tires are off the ground and turn it with the engine running? I had to do that with a Honda Accord for a half an hour to get all the air out.

On a side note, I did install a PS pump on a 1999 F350 diesel and the new pump turned out to be bad after trying to bleed it forever. Napa gladly let me return the pump, but it set me back a couple of hours and the customer didn't get his truck back that night. The new pump on that truck felt unassisted from the time I started the truck and never got any better after turning it back and forth for 20 minutes. It did build up a froth in the reservoir, but was making the signature Ford whine while trying to bleed.

Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.

Archie

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad pump or their might be a plug in the hose fittings on the pump. They do have caps pushed into the ends.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
My only guess is that you still have alot of air in the system. The fact that you don't have any whine is weird though. When you look in the PS reservoir is there a bunch of foam? Maybe you got a bad pump?? Did you try jacking the front of the truck up so the tires are off the ground and turn it with the engine running? I had to do that with a Honda Accord for a half an hour to get all the air out.

I'll try that later today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sounds like a bad pump or their might be a plug in the hose fittings on the pump. They do have caps pushed into the ends.

It had two plugs; one screw-in plug in the pressure side, and one cap plug in the return side. I took both of them out, but didn't actually inspect the insides to see if there were any others. Guess I'll take it back off if I can't bleed it out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the system worked previously to install of new pump, and no other part was changed; my money is the new pump is faulty.

I'd suggest install old pump for shitz gigglez...try it..some boost...ok..now we know new pump NFG!

You must be registered for see images attach

There that's the bad money shot...LOL OK...

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Well, old pump was totally smashed up from the introduction of the radiator to the tree (pulley bent up, mount broken, reservoir had some holes in it from breaking apart, everything). So I went and got a junkyard pump. That one didn't work, so I figured it was bad from the yard. Took it in to the parts store and got a remanufactured pump. Still have the same problem; no assist at all from the pump. The "old" one from the yard I already turned in for a core charge.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Oh, and there's no foam at all in the new pump reservoir. I don't even really see that the fluid is moving anywhere. I'm going to take off the pressure lines and see if there's any blockage from pieces of plastic off the old reservoir.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Well, I give up. I checked every single line, and after making a fantastic mess, have decided that I flow through everything. So the pump is good, and the lines aren't blocked. *** am I missing? Would a broken steering gear box do something like this?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about starting from the beginning with details about what exactly you are working one, why you are working on it and what you are trying to do to it?

Adding in info bit by bit is kinda of piece meal and hard to help.

*** happened why is rad/etc up to pump? Are you trying to fix an Effed truck? Whats going on...Start from the top please?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Do you know about the power steering pump cooler that runs under the front engine cross member. Its just a long loop of steel tubing that looks like trans or steel fuel lines. I will find a pic...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200794815620?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I checked that as well, and confirmed that I do have flow through it. Maybe I'll just replace that line along with the high pressure line and see if maybe there was a LITTLE flow through the lines, but not enough to support the pressure.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the HP line has a break internally and it's not allowing enough fluild past it.?

What about the box? Does it try to steer when you turn the steering wheel? Can you actually move the front wheels back and forth..albeit with significant difficulty? If so we know it's not the steering box not working manually. However perhaps there is something not functioning internally and allowing HP fluid to by pass...I could not say I'm not a steering box mechanic kinda guy my myself...

Lastly sounds like pumps if nothing else, try one from a known working ride?????

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If I jack both front tires off the ground, it turns nice and smooth. Once I put one down again, it starts getting a lot more difficult. It's damned near impossible to turn without using a lot of force, and both arms when both tires are on the ground.

I ordered a new return line / cooler, and new high pressure line. Hopefully I can get a hold of a new steering box, and I'll just replace every damned thing on the system. I'll probably take the "new" pump back as bad from the box, and get a different one. Unfortunately, this is my only IDI truck that I have currently. I don't have any others to scavenge parts off of to see what's the problem and what's not.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I jack both front tires off the ground, it turns nice and smooth. Once I put one down again, it starts getting a lot more difficult. It's damned near impossible to turn without using a lot of force, and both arms when both tires are on the ground.

I ordered a new return line / cooler, and new high pressure line. Hopefully I can get a hold of a new steering box, and I'll just replace every damned thing on the system. I'll probably take the "new" pump back as bad from the box, and get a different one. Unfortunately, this is my only IDI truck that I have currently. I don't have any others to scavenge parts off of to see what's the problem and what's not.

Just want to give you a heads up....

I've worked in auto wrecking for years n years ...FORD used the same PWR steering BOX in ranger pu and F series both two and four wheel drive, a low mileage box in a ranger pu likely has less wear and tear than a box from a 1 ton diesel...4x4...FYI

The cost to the end user is usually different too...cookoo

Oh a 4x F350 diesel..ya that box is gonna be $275.00

Oh a 2wd ranger box...ya $125.00

Same damn box...pitman arms are different....LOL

DON"T ask how I know this stuff...:sly:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online