possible turbo purchase... need your input

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Yep because it has the bigger exhaust housing. $400 is a steal if the turbo still has some life, still a decent deal if it needs rebuilt

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Get it for the asking price. Nobody here can say if the bushing bearings in the turbo are shot of if the wheel has rubbed. All that can be rebuilt. Its just a money thing the machine the intake housing. But for the price you probably can't do much better. ATS no longer has any spare parts for this too. Typ4 aka Russ who lives in Oregon bought all the spares they had. He is the person to talk with if upgrades or rebuilding is required.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sent the guy a text and he says he pulled it off a running 7.3 he says the plenum didn't make it in the pic. Says the shaft has " no more play than normal" . I'm inclined to take it. Any more input?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe I will. I will definitely be asking for help w the installation! Thanks for the input.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Questions are welcome, I used this forum for all my questions when I installed my turbo. It's a decent amount of work making a used turbo go together with all the right pieces. But it's got sure worth it

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing. The truck this kit was on had the e4od. Mine's a zf5. Will I need to change or do anything to make that all work?

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the ats kit is interchangeable between transmissions. Idk what tranny the truck had that my turbo kit came off of but the crossover pipe fit perfectly fine. I'm almost positive the ats kit will work either way

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK all I'm planning to pick this up tonight. What all small parts should I be sure to get? Things like valley pan grommet, CDR and glow plug controller relocation parts, what else??? Any known weak points of this system that I need to watch out for??

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drivers side valve cover. The glow plug controller relocation stuff isn't that big a deal. I didn't use any of it from the donor engine I had. Just made my own brackets and moved it

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually thought maybe I'd do the CDR like Banks, and build me a fitting to attach it to the 2-bolt timing cover on front of the engine. seems easier than messing w/ valve covers. Less oil splashing around as well.

Thoughts?

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly the drivers side valve cover is a breeze and the gasket is cheap. I had one so I went that route. I also ran a RDT instead of running the cdr back into the intake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828