Possible Bad wheel bearing????

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Aight folks. We have a noise coming from the left side of the truck. And it only occurs when i make sharp curves at 55 or so. Its a grinding sound. I do know i have a bad upper balljoint, but i dont think thats the cause. The wheel bearing was loose, do you all think it got damage, or could it be the ball joint????

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be bearings. I know that's what it has always been when the brakes squeel on curves for me.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
There isnt a lot of play in the ball joint, im thinking wheel bearing. I guess ill have to tear it down, take pics, and fix it.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Its got new wheel bearings in it though, Its probably that ball joint because i jacked her up and gave that wheel hell and i couldnt make her move but for up and down, where the ball joint was givin, Thats gonna be a job......I need to find my 10 pound sledge now.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start spraying the backside of the spindle hub with penetrating oil now. Use a spindle puller w/slide hammer. You can rent it at autozone. Part # 27104. You will also need to rent a 5/8" slide hammer with it.

When I did my balljoints I tried to rent the tool but the Autozone geniouses swore they didn't carry any such item. I did the first one without it and it was a real pain. I then looked up the part # myself online and went back to the store. Once I gave them the part # they magically had it.:dunno

It is so much easier and quicker with the puller. Fair warning it's still not easy. Your wrists will hurt for a few days afterwards. Good luck.