Positive Camber Problem

shakenbake254

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post so sorry if it is in the wrong section. I recently bought my first truck which is a 1986 F250 6.9L 4x4 Auto for $900. It has a few problems with it one being the camber. They guy I bought it from said he replaced the front leaf springs with F250 springs he found on a IDI at the junkyard and the front wheels have been slanted ever since then. The springs have a slight negative arc to them which from what I have read is normal for the F250 springs. I have also read that it is really hard to adjust the camber on these trucks. As the truck sits now the front wheels are like this \o/ any help would be appreciated!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe hard to measure, but not hard to adjust. Try getting your truck on level ground and measuring the camber using a straight edge and a magnetic angle finder. Take a look at what offset bushings you have installed in your spindles, you might be able to rotate them 180 degrees and get close. If you want to do it by the book, buy the Moog adjustable caster/camber bushings and take it to an alignment shop.

Good luck

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
See how much worse it gets after backing up about 10 feet.
Try searching "ttb pivot bushings."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my leaf springs with new ones four years ago. I replaced everything: ball joints, shackle bushings, axle pivot bushings. My camber was positive. I had Les Schwab do the alignment. The maximum adjustable camber bushing available was 2.75 degrees. After installing at max my camber was still about one degree positive. I was told the new springs would settle and my camber would get close after a year of driving on our crappy roads. I haven't rechecked, but tire wear is not an issue. The camber adjusting bushing is on top of your axle housing, With a 1 1/8 nut if I recall and a cotter pin. The nut is threaded onto your upper ball joint. Just as a comparison I have about 1 5/8" between my bump stop and axle.

Attachments

• Image (21).jpg
    Image (21).jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 97

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am taking a guess its just needing an alignment unless you hqve significant lifted springs

Since you have reverse arch springs I doubt they are lift sprjngz.

Drop brackets likely will cause a bad negative camber.

Could also be worn ball joints having an effect too.

Best check ball joints and camber caster adjustme t on upper ball joint as mentioned.

A dropled pitma arm helps only if uou hqve a lift whcih I dont think you do.

Pictures of what it is like...show us. Dont spend money needlesly on parts not suited to the situation.

shakenbake254

Reaction score
I took it to a alignment shop that my family has been doing business with for years. The mechanic showed me the bracket and it makes sense to me. The springs are negative arc but they are not factory. They are surface rusted and marked from a junk yard. The only thing i can think of is that they are either super worn out f350 springs or they are lift/leveling springs from whatever truck the previous owner pulled them off of. The guy I bought it from did all kinds of stupid to this truck so its anyones guess.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oakley here.
will have some front springs available soon...

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste and time or money on a D50. Start looking for a D60. You'll be over halfway there by the time you go through that 50.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86