Popped two heater cores in one week!

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-cuss

I put in a new heater core last week and this morning, the new core started steaming and pumping vapor out the dash. Antifreeze was coming out the heater cover too. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I bought this heater core with a lifetime guarantee, guess I'll have to drive home from work tonight with the heat off.

This just seems odd to me that the heater core would pop so soon.cookoo cookoo

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think it is the ULSD fuel! :rotflmao

While mine were not this close together, my factory unit (had ford part number and truck has low miles) went out about 4 months ago. I replaced it with a Partsmaster (requested 4 seasons, but the wife picked it up and brought it home, I wouldn't have most likely) from the AutoValue store I used to manage (also under new ownership). At any rate, I ran into town, about 5 miles, a week or so ago and was greeted by the sweet-sick smell of antifreeze and what looked like the defrost ducts were on fire. Keep in mind, this truck probably hasn't seen 100 miles in the 4 months or so this heater core has been in there! I went to Ford and got one, went to put it in and wanted to verify the leak with the cover off the heater core. I could not make it leak again, but will install the Ford anyway. Not sure what to make of it, but I remember someone saying they were replacing Napa ones pretty regularly until they went to Ford. Funny thing is, the Ford isn't Ford, it has an aftermarket name on it (will have to check it, don't remember the name) and was made in Mexico - same as the one coming out!!! If it fails in 4 months, at a cost more than double the aftermarket one, I will be sure to dump the next load of manure in front of the service door at my local stealership!!! :backoff

rubberfish

Reaction score
Some auto show from on tv was mentioning that
a bad ground has been known to cause the core
to fail prematurely. No, not twice in one week. :rotflmao
Just a tidbit of info I wanted to pass on.
Check your engine grounds just in case.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Check your engine grounds just in case.

I don't think that is it in my case. I have 6 extra ground straps, 2 frame to engine, 2 engine to firewall and 2 cab to frame as well as two heavy cables to the frame in the rear where the air compressor and dump motor ground to the frame, so I don't think I have ground problems! :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao Paranoia maybe, but not problems...cookoo

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the new heater core in after the pimple-face kid at the parts store gave me the wrong one and I have to have it exchanged again.

Currently there are no leaks or steam coming from the heater. On the plus side it gave me the opportunity to clean out the heater case with detergents and get most of the dust and dirt from out the heater system.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have any stray voltage luirking in the cooling system. That and bad water are the most common causes of heater core failure. Someone here knows how to do that, but it could be as little as one improperly grounded accessory causing electrolysis...or you could have gotten a bad unit out of teh box...it does happen especially with remanned products.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The voltage to do that much electrolysis damage to a heatercore in one week would be prodigious.

I just changed the coolant and did a system flush this September when I put in the new block heater (it was the original one).

I think I got a bum steer out of the box on that first Schmuck's heater core.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it did it again! After nearly a week of use the latest heater core popped this morning on the way to work. This is getting 'tiresome':mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss
I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'm going to be able to NASCAR style heater core changes here if this thing goes again. That heater core bypass mod is starting to look mighty good right now.

Should I just get my money back and then go to the Furd stealership for a new core?:confused: :confused:

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I would take a good look at it, see if you can see where it is leaking from. If it is a defect or just preasure. Your heater core could be asking as the "fuse" too, check/change your rad cap.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking now that during the installation when I pushed the hoses onto the heater core (with out any lube) that I may be breaking the solder around the brass tube fittings on the top of the heater core.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mine had a nipple sticking out on the bottom of the heater core box. In sliding the heater core in, one could easily "jab" it with the nipple. It is about an inch long and just acts as an alignment cone. At any rate, mine is now gone. I cut all but the thickness of the cover off, made installation much less tedious and the cover never knew the difference!!

As far as the Ford, can't tell you yet, other than mine is not leaking, but I had a hard time getting my aftermarket one to leak again, but a run down the road with a load and 205 temps made it happen. I tried the same scenario with the Ford one, and no foggy in the cab!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get one from Ford. Your original lasted forever, and that one will too. No wait, better get 2. I may need one someday when they aren't available anymore. :rolleyes:

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've pretty much came to that same conclusion too Mel.

Stupid heater core now dried up on the drive home last night and didn't get a drop out of it this morning with no steam. I'm taking tomorrow off, I may nick by Furd and pick up a heater core.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86