POP!!!!!!!! what the heck was THAT?!?!?

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am out toodling around in my truck yesterday, had the trailer plus 2 horses in tow.... going down a road that has about 6 stop signs. Every time I'd come up on a stop sign, I'd push in the clutch, put on the brakes, and when the truck slowed to about 25-35 MPH I'd hear a loud POP and "feel" the pop in the clutch pedal ( yes, even thru the 4 inches of wood!) Truck acted fine, but I want to know what could be popping underneath it, and does it need ( I am sure it does) attention? any ideas? :thanks:

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
does the 93 have the weak firewall problem? I would think not...as the clutch/brake pedal assy is a lot different than on the earlier model pickups. May be that the bushings are getting worn at the top of the pedal. Does it do it any other time?

I know I used to think my truck was falling apart...ended up being the trailer creeping up on the truck via the slide in adapter shank thingy on the reciver hitch that I can't think of the freakin name of...DAMN I'm stupid...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tanya, sounds like something is moving slightly out of alignment, and then popping back into place. Best to have BJ lay under the truck while you play with the clutch pedal. Maybe he will see something, or if it is under the dash he can confirm it. You can probably coax him under the dash with a pair of high heels. :eek: :D

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
when the bushing on my clutch pedal assy failed, i could hear & feel the "pop" when the linkage moved out of alignment... but it wasn't speed related - happened intermittently when i depressed the clutch.

my svc ticket states 'replace cross over linkage / bushing on pedal axle'
ford part# fmc e69z 7526 a $4.70 (a small nylon bushing)

when i ignored it for too long, i ended up having to replace the whole clutch / brake pedal assy.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like this is happeneing while in motion, dont know if you can convince BJ to get under the rig while your rolling 25 mph or not, but if ya can I wanna see the high heels too. LOL

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL Me in high heels.... hey maybe I could reach the clutch that way :rolleyes: If the heels don't work maybe I can use this method? -Showtits

These smileys are killing me!

BJ says its some type of bushing... It did it yesterday with the clutch not pressed in. Oh well as long as it isn't anything major and he knows about it and fixes it I'm happy hehe

Warwagon

Reaction score
If the pop happens when slowing the truck under braking with no driveline load then I'd check the lube in the driveshaft slip-joint.;) If it's dry, or all crudded up, the joint will bind and pop when the spring wrap changes pinion distance as you go from accelleration, to float (maintaining speed), to decelleration under braking. My '91 Dodge Ramcharger does this periodically. All you need to do is clean the joint out really well, then lube (and periodically re-lube) it with a good grade of synthetic grease. I had quite a bit of trouble with mine, as others do, before I went the synthetic grease route a couple of years ago. No troubles since.:D
Travis should have noticed this ... he, at one time, also payed homage to Mother Mopar:hail
:sorry: Trav, I just had to.....
Mark

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online