Poor man's Timbrens

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Has anyone used some rubber spring goodies made by Monroe that look a lot like Timbrens ?
I found a pair of these things dirt cheap on a clearance for about $18 so I popped them on. At that price, I'll try just about anything. They seem to raise the hind end a little. I'll have the 5er hooked up shortly and see if they make any difference there.

-----Robert

Attachments

• Spring1.jpg
    Spring1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Spring2.jpg
    Spring2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Spring3.jpg
    Spring3.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 39

CEdwards

Reaction score
They look a lot like Air Bag Springs. They are supposed to act like overload springs. I used a pair on my 95 GMC to carry a 2300 lb. truck camper. I varied the air pressure between 7 lbs and 100 lbs depending on the load. Is there a place for hooking up a air line? If so you need to keep at least 7 lbs of air pressure in them or they could be damaged internally. Great at any price!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
They're not air bags, they are hollow rubber springs, much like the Timbrens. Basically an overglorified bump stop.

I did get to take a run with the fiver hooked up and they really did seem to help with body sway in the curves and the tail end is sitting about an inch or so higher when trailer is hooked up and tanks full.They don't ride as nice as air bags, but for what i paid for the things, I'm thoroughly jazzed ;Sweet

------Robert

MMeier

Reaction score
Has anyone used some rubber spring goodies made by Monroe that look a lot like Timbrens ?
I found a pair of these things dirt cheap on a clearance for about $18 so I popped them on. At that price, I'll try just about anything. They seem to raise the hind end a little. I'll have the 5er hooked up shortly and see if they make any difference there.

-----Robert

Where exactly did you find those, might be willing to try put a set on the work truck! ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Where exactly did you find those, might be willing to try put a set on the work truck! ;Sweet

I found them at www.ufixitautoparts.com I can't remember if they were in the regular section or in their Parts by the pound sale" section. I was digging through parts for a while before i found them, but they did have a few more sets last time I looked.
Those folks are clearing off the shelves, and they have all kinds of interesting deals, trick is figuring out what they fit.
-------Robert

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Monroe quit making those, which is why they were on clearance. I know when I looked on their website they did not list the rubber springs.

The last set of Timbrens I picked up for a little under $100 shipped off eBay. These were the 10K units that retail for $240. They were NOS and didn't list the application, just a part number which was why they sold so low.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I believe Monroe quit making those, which is why they were on clearance. I know when I looked on their website they did not list the rubber springs.

The last set of Timbrens I picked up for a little under $100 shipped off eBay. These were the 10K units that retail for $240. They were NOS and didn't list the application, just a part number which was why they sold so low.

I was surprised to not find any reference at all on Monroe's website. Only place I found anything was a few websites still selling the things. They may give out in a year, but at that price, what the heck :D

The ones I got had no application in the listing, and when I got them, the instructions were for a ranger, but they bolted right up to my f350 dually ;Sweet

-------Robert