Plastic fuel lines

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
OK, I give. How can you replace the connectors on the end of these plastic lines? If I just cut it and stick a barbed joinner in there will it hold (with a hose clamp) Or am I looking at replacing the whole line with something new? The return line on my rear tank, the connector gave out and seperated (looks like it was on and off a few times before I got my hands on it) all the guts came out and none of the return fuel was getting in the tank.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If I understand the question, the fuel lines You talk about have a plastic clip that You can pull up with a flat screwdriver and then the hose will be loose.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Yep, one of the clips broke from when someone else had the tank out, and the o-rings in the end are all messed up. I was thinking if there was a way to put a rubber hose on the plastic line and then just put the rubber over where the clip end should be and a few hose clamps... I just can't seem to find anything that can go in the plastic line to give me a place to put the rubber... If that makes any sense.

tenlug

Reaction score
Dorman makes a kit that comes with 2 barded fittings and one piece of plastic line. These come in different sizes. To get the fittings inside the plastic line, soak the plastic line in HOT water then push the fitting in. Then you can slide rubber hose over that and clamp it without colapsing the plastic line. Steve

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used rubber hose and clamps to splice these plastic lines many times, with no issues. The supply line is 3/8", the return is 5/16th, you will notice that the plastic line is barbed every so often along it's legnth, it works perfectly for holding a clamped line on.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used rubber hose and clamps to splice these plastic lines many times, with no issues. The supply line is 3/8", the return is 5/16th, you will notice that the plastic line is barbed every so often along it's legnth, it works perfectly for holding a clamped line on.
+1
also, ford does the rubber hose thing from the brass return fitting off the motor to the plastic line on the frame.
If you need a end that's in good shape, I have a fair amount of plastic line here that I can cut you a segment for the fitting.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I, too, have simply slid the proper size rubber line straight over the plastic lines, add a couple hose clamps, and ran them leak-free for years.

As the man said, draw is 3/8, return is 5/16.

Also, the necessary clips to fasten the factory ends onto the fuel-tank outlets can be found in those "HELP" sections of any good parts store.

I have a bag full of them in the console, two sizes, black for draw and white for return.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my lines kinked at the rear tank, I cut off the ends of the plastic lines and spliced on rubber fuel hose with a couple of worm clamps. No problems so far.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I took it one step farther and slid solid line inside (metal) the plastic and then slid the rubber hose over it with very good results.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
hose will work, but there are kits out there to fix the nylon line, I have one at the shop and love it. helped me out many time in the few months Ive had it, use it on both gas and diesels.
Nick

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
heck i just removed one of the plastic lines that was damaged removing the tank and just put a regular rubber line (on the return side) with some worm clamps. no problem now

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
hose will work, but there are kits out there to fix the nylon line, I have one at the shop and love it. helped me out many time in the few months Ive had it, use it on both gas and diesels.
Nick

Is that a kit to make multiple repairs? So where did you get it?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
yep, I can splice nylon to metal, to gm quick disconects, to gm threaded fittings, etc./
got my kit from a local supplier, it is made by FMSI
www.fmsiinc.com
went with this kit over the dorman, due to it having more options, and the availabilty of parts is better, and no hot water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online