Pesky Fuel Leak.... How to Proceed ------

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Need to visit y'all more often than just when I have a problem.... <hangs head>

OK. Fuel leaking, mostly during short morning freeway runs. Went to my buddy's place last weekend - about 50 miles - with almost no leaks, as I ran only 35-45 the whole way, off-freeway.

Then, put in ear plugs and ran her without the inside doghouse cover! After 55-60 in the morning on a connector ramp, 3rd gear, saw a heavy fuel flow down the valley pan, so deep that I could see ripples in it!

Weep hole sooty-dirty, so no fuel gush from there. Nothing coming down from upper side of things.

Friend hydro_idi suggested the olive was bad. Except the olive came with the Conestoga flexible fuel line like 3-4? years ago. Checked tightness of the fitting into IP. Was able to tighten it ½ turn. WHEW! That fixed it, thought I.
Nope. Getting gradually worse! Using a plastic tray UNDERNEATH when parking in friend's driveways. -Down

So, do pull IP and lines to look for a cracked lower injection line? Kinda lost here. TIA.

Thoughts, kind sirs??????

PS: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, KIDS!!!!!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

silverrex4

Reaction score
Need to find that leak. i would let it sit at a hot idle for a while and carefully put some pressure on the injector lines. if it starts spraying fuel you found the problem. when did you last replace the injector cups and hoses. those are cheap and always good to replace anyway. check the obvious, fuel filter on tight? the fuel housing that holds the filter. make sure that little valve on the housing is good. im sure the leak is right under your nose but just missing it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Had a return leak on RH bank, replaced that cap and o-rings. Return plumbing replaced at same time as IP, 3 or 4 years. Not coming from up there.

Might as well tighten all the outgoing fittings at rear of IP. worth a try. They are accessible once air cleaner is removed, but much less so than in a pickup.

silverrex4

Reaction score
the o rings on the injectors gets very brittle over time. if you go rock auto the kit is like 20 bucks for new orings and caps and the tubes too. remember each tube is 4 inch exact. that much fuel has to do with thise caps, tube and injector lines. definitely recheck all of them

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yikes, three months? ANYWAY --- My best guess was the advance plunger seal, at the bottom of the DB-2. Since I have a Baby Moose, Suzi checked with Mel, and sent a kit to replace that plunger nut and seal. Nope, still leaking, somewhere.

Today, I wrapped a few key places with blue paper towel, to try to narrow the cause. Well, test-drove, paper towel in three spots were dry. To check one of those, I removed the air cleaner. At that moment, I saw that the rear surface of the fuel filter bracket was wet!!!!! Looks like the fuel comes from the odd connector for the fuel heater?? The strange, flat, squarish connector. I've never connected the plug, but..... is this removable and replaceable?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the useless fuel heater......

Remove the filter head, and dissemble. The part the filter thread on unscrews. Remove the heater innards, which will also remove that plug...

You can either replace the o-ring and the leak will stop.

Or do what I'm going to do, tap the existing hole, a 1/2 inch hole and put a pipe plug in it. Don't have to worry about it leaking again.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yah, awesome, snicklas, thank you! :Thumbs Up

About time to change the fuel filter anyway. o_O Realized you fellas wouldn't think of the fuel heater leaking, since it's not above the valley pan on your Fs. Another IDI-van-only quirk!!

Soon to be back-on-the-road with sweet IDI music. :D