Part throttle stumble

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Well it all started a week ago, was cruising to the next town over with my buddy and when I pulled into town and decelerated from around 2500 rpm down to 40, which is like 1700 rpm, it made a couple popping sounds that kinda sounded like it was comming from the intake, didn't think much of it, went to my cousins new house, picked up a case of beer and headed home. On the return trip it started to pop more and more a little at a time. The exhaust note wasn't really changing but i could kinda feel it in the floor boards when it would pop. When I got to my buddies house I shut it off. I left maybe twenty minutes later and it wasn't doing it but when I was almost home it started again. Since then anytime it starts to get warmer, maybe 25-30 minutes or so into my drive to work it starts doing it and if I let it cool down it goes away. It also looses alot of power when it gets warm. It doesn't do it really at all at full throttle or idle though and it confuses me.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Just a vote, but I thinkin IP.:dunno

Seems like it takes longer to get hot and have problems than the engine does.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When it does that part throttle stumble does it make a nasty knocking sound?

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I haven't really heard of it knocking when it stumbles but it could be. It really confuses me. I'm pretty sure IP is on its way out. It never fuels consistently, sometimes it dumps a lot of fuel and just plain scoots and sometimes its like the biggest dog of a truck ever.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I haven't really heard of it knocking when it stumbles but it could be. It really confuses me. I'm pretty sure IP is on its way out. It never fuels consistently, sometimes it dumps a lot of fuel and just plain scoots and sometimes its like the biggest dog of a truck ever.

Pay close attention to it, because if it's knocking like crazy at part throttle with those symptoms, chances are you have one or more injectors slobbering fuel We're talking a knock that sounds like a gasser about to throw a rod .

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Well I haven't heard it lately but I'll pay attention. I'm already planning on getting a new ip and injectors soon, saving about half of every paycheck to get em.