panic stop woe's

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nitro can is not working

correct me if im wrong, but I thought the HB's had a valve that actuated the nitro can when it looses PS pressure?
if it uses the can during panic situations, how does it replenish the system?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong, but I thought the HB's had a valve that actuated the nitro can when it looses PS pressure?
if it uses the can during panic situations, how does it replenish the system?
nonop nitro can shows up when you slam on the pedal but the pump pressure doesn't keep up

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that you can get the pedal to the floor shows that the hydroboost unit is working. If it wasn't working, there's no way you'd be able to floor the pedal even with sketchy brakes.
The HB unit multiplies your pedal force by a /lot/(more than a vacuum booster will), so the pressures can get pretty high.

Why not try "panic stopping" when parked, and have someone look around under and around the brake lines when you have the pedal to the floor. Try to see what's going on.

Or, does it only do this when hot? Could you have "dragging" brakes heating the brake fluid to boiling after a while, so when you push on the pedal, it has to compress against the bubbles first.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pedal feels funny to me in a panic stop but it does not go to the floor. It kinda bounces off the bottom. I tried what towcat suggested and I do have brake with it shut off for a couple cycles. I’m guessing it’s probably power steering related in my case and that just may be the nature of the beast. Hasn’t caused me any issues yet but I’d love to see a full on trouble shooting tutorial for hydroboost. It’s just not something I’ve ever messed with. Never even driven anything with it until I put it on my truck as far as I know. Even with the minor quirk it stops way better than it did on vacuum.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive had zero time to look at it.
but I have been hearing my PS pump start to buzz a little bit at full lock.