PANIC STOP abs hell

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
My truck has all new rotors, calipers, etc. All seems well and things are how they should with the truck when, out of nowhere I had to make a panic stop...

The ABS initiated; released, then applied the breaks, over and over in short order- easily increased my stopping distance by a large margin! I was lucky not to crash; it was terrifying.

Assuming a problem with the system, I took it to a couple reputable shops. They both told me that is typical of this era F350, and that nothing is wrong...

Has anyone ells dealt with this? Is this seriously typical?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as my experience, it is. Mine hasn't been that bad. Then a few months ago the ABS light kept coming on. A friend shorted the test plug and the code had me checking everything from the ABS controller to each item in the loop. It has a short in the harness. I got fed up and unplugged the connector from the controller, all is well. Just no ABS. I am fine with that as this is one of the 1st vehicle I ever had with ABS and I never quite liked the whole system. Grew up w/o abs and never had a problem, now I have 1 less potential problem with the truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
my crewcab will do the same thing. Panic stop holds for a micro second. Then releases and you hope what is working stops you before you hit what caused the panic stop. I have the hydroboost brake system too. I feel its time to disable the abs but insurance makes me wonder about modifying any brake parts. In a court I can explain the hydroboost is far better than what ford designed to stop my rig.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve thought about making a junction block to replace the rabs valve and selling it as an off-road only item, the trucks I’ve driven in with the valve deleted had a much better pedal feel. You can legally modify the brakes you just will need to properly certify that it’s correct before your next registration so your tail is covered.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can have the wheels locked up and the truck sliding out of control, or you can have the abs working and possibly steer clear of the problem. I know it makes your heart stop when it happens, but you would have to lift off the brake pedal anyway if you did not have abs. Or slide right into disaster.

I get a kick out of watching all the videos on youtube with people crashing during a ice storm. They just press as hard as they can on the brake pedal and the vehicle just goes where it wants, bouncing off of everything. Once in awhile you will see someone go through and make it, they didn't touch their brakes and it slowly drove right through the whole scene.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve thought about making a junction block to replace the rabs valve and selling it as an off-road only item, the trucks I’ve driven in with the valve deleted had a much better pedal feel. You can legally modify the brakes you just will need to properly certify that it’s correct before your next registration so your tail is covered.

A regular coupler seemed to work ok for me. They did not use any oddball line fitting sizes down there in 1989. It was the standard 3/8-24 fitting on both sides of the abs.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Well, I guess its really a matter of anticipating it- increasing awareness etc.... I can live with it, having grown up in 18 wheelers I can deal with driving it like a truck, but I have to say it sure has a crappy feel.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What era would that be? You've got to give us a hint.

You might want to put your truck information in your sig block.

By his picture and the fact, he is on the IDI site I'd say he owns a 92-94 ford f350. That's the hint I got.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 F350 Dually and 94 F350 SRW will release the rear brakes
in a panic stop. I feel as if I am Lunging forward. Pretty Scary. My Uncle had the same problem in a truck of the same era.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
What era would that be? You've got to give us a hint.

You might want to put your truck information in your sig block.

Not trying to be out of line & he probably did add it in there since you asked the question, but I now see "1994 Crew cab F350 IDI Turbo" in his sig.

My '90 CC Dually & my '92 SRW, well I drive like an 'ol man in this kind of weather! Hammer down & play like it's all their fault!! LOL

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ABS initiated; released, then applied the breaks, over and over in short order- easily increased my stopping distance by a large margin! I was lucky not to crash; it was terrifying.

Assuming a problem with the system, I took it to a couple reputable shops. They both told me that is typical of this era F350, and that nothing is wrong...

When it's working right, ABS pumps the breaks for you, faster than you could pump them. When it's working right, ABS decreases your stopping distance compared to trying to pump the breaks manually. When it's working right, I wouldn't expect it to activate on dry pavement.

The question I have is whether the traction was bad, and the rear wheels were actually locking up, or whether the ABS was releasing the rear breaks when the wheels were NOT locking up.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it's working right, ABS pumps the breaks for you, faster than you could pump them. When it's working right, ABS decreases your stopping distance compared to trying to pump the breaks manually. When it's working right, I wouldn't expect it to activate on dry pavement.

The question I have is whether the traction was bad, and the rear wheels were actually locking up, or whether the ABS was releasing the rear breaks when the wheels were NOT locking up.

Most of the trucks in question (very late 80's and early 90's) had the RABS system. It will work on dry pavement during a panic stop. It's very easy to lock the rear wheels up on a empty pickup truck.

I bypassed my RABS and I have slid the rear wheels during a panic stop on dry pavement. And this is saying something, since I have 35 inch tires on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online