P pump

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I was doing some looking around and saw some pics of a P pumped 7.3 IDI built by Hypermax in the early 90's, before the 12 valve cummins, and was wondering what might have to be done to P pump a 6.9. I mean, does anyone know what kind of nozzles(injectors) have to be used or if you can use regular ones like moose misters. Im going to school right now at Wyo Tech taking the Diesel core class and then Light Duty Diesel and we're going over injection pumps and nozzles and unit injectors and stuff and it's really got me thinking. When I graduate my 86 is going to be stripped down and rebuilt. Im not sure if I wanna mod the heck out of the 6.9 or try swapping in a 93-96 DT466(P pumped-kinda like a 12 valve but way more power output capabilities). I know whatever I do is gonna take some time and money, but neither of those worry me really. Im just trying to get an idea of what can be done. I want more than just the standard 12v swap or a PSD or just turbo'ing the IDI. Thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, Hypermax might actually talk to a guy like you and tell you themselves. Not sure if that's a closely guarded trade secret but I kinda doubt it is. A P-pump puts out way too much fuel though unless the engine has had some drastic modifications to be able to burn it.....

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Well I don't even know if there would be anyone there who even knows what Im talking about, I mean it was from the very early 90's, bout the same time I was born lol. I know the engine would need a lot of mods. I really want to built a stout mechanical engine that's not a cummins for my truck that I can go pullin with once I restore I do the body work(almost mint body, only one small rust spot). The more I look into it, the more I think a DT466/530/570 swap would be better because how easy they are to make higher horses out of and I know quite a few guys who've built them for pulling tractors. I think one with a 6 speed Eaton trans and a medium duty t-case or one from a medium duty truck would be a very strong truck.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins has been using the A and P7100 inline pumps on thier B series fours and sixes since the mid 80's. Isuzu has used the RSV A pumps on thier 4 and 6BD1T's since the 1970's.

The B cummins engines were designed in the early 80's and went into production in 83. Both roary and inline pumps have been used since they came out depending on application.

I would imagine a custom P7100 pump body and camshaft would need made to work on a V8. I've seen mechanical duramaxes with P7100's and the pumps were homebrew P7100's.

Regardless of your likes and prefferrences there is a pretty simple way to bank on whether a diesel is a tough SOB or not. Look at thier history and what they were designed for. The B series Cummins was designed as an agricultural and marine service engine. The Binder DT motors have some roots there too. The IDI and 444TE are just throw away base option economy engines for light truck and medium duty designed to be dirt cheap to produce.

If you are anti-cummins I would suggest the 6BD1t, but if you really want a DT go for it, just don't expect a pickup that even remotely drives/handles well on the road.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Yup started in april, Im the youngest person on campus lol. It's going good, got 95's in my first two classes. So far I've taken Powertrains(Eaton manuals, Rockwell and Eaton single and through drive rears, and air systems+brakes) and Fluid Power and Electrical(Allison auto's, hydraulics, and electrical systems). Right now we are a week into Engine Managment Systems and Refrigeration, which is fuel injection, which got me thinking about this, and refrigeration units(Carrier and ThermoKing) and then getting EPA certified. Im getting a 96.8 right now in the class and we went over Detroit 60 series today, going over Cat tommorrow and Cummins after that. It's really fast paced and I like it a lot. After the diesel core class Im taking light duty which is pickups and automotive stuff.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
The thing I like about the DT's is they are readily avalible in busses and medium duty trucks so it shouldn't be hard to find one, and parts are easy to come by to bomb them with most IH pulling tractors built off them. Im looking for around 800 HP when Im done with is so the DT platform would bearly be stressed. I am looking into finding a medium duty trans that can hold up to that, as I don't want to have to deal with air systems and a splitter box, they are a pain to rebuild(did 4 in school this year) and looking at maybe rockwells to handle the torque. Anyone have any other idears for axles, trans, t-cases? Im just kinda thinking bout it right now but I know that when I graduate in December the truck is my main project once I find a job.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Well...I will put it like this. The semis have 6-800 ish hp only get like 6-8 mpgs. I have thought about that too since the cummings came out in like 05 with 345 HP and 645 lbfts and still got good milage. I do not think you think you are setting a good goal with your 800 HP goal, but don't let me hold you back.

SWS

jw2644

Reaction score
If you phone hypermax, talk to Ron or Mike those two guys are very helpful. I phoned them a few times when I installed the pulse turbo kit I got from them. They had no problem answering my questions.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Well this would be more of a play truck, as I have an F150 and a PSD dually for everyday stuff. I as it is right now, that's only half the mileage that I get right now with the 6.9 with 4.10's, C6, and 285's. Im just trying to get a good clear idear of what I want. The thing is though with the big trucks is they have over twice the displacement of a DT466. Even with a 570 it would still be far under like a C-15 Cat or Cummins ISX. The way I look at it Ill need rockwells to hold up to the power and big tires to compensate for the 6.72 gears so i am kinda expecting bad mileage any way i go.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only p-pumped IDI was the Hypermax engine. But, for folks really wanting to go further with an IDI without having IP reliability issues....... the p-pump is the key. The DB Staynadynes can only be modified so much and when heavily modified....... they don't live long.

Heath