Overheated IH4300

swapdip

Reaction score
Good morning quick question for the experts. Got a 2002 International 4300 with dt466. Was used for about a year as a rolling storage for ATVS, tools and motorcycles. Started every few weeks but not moved much. We had to move storage locations, I had the driver move it about 30 miles fully laden. After that trip he reported 2 problems: right rear caliper dragging, it wasn't pulling but brakes got weak and at the end of the trip rotor was glowing. Second problem, temp peaked to about 220. Caliper and rotor are easy fix, my question is do you suspect the overheating is caused by drag on the brakes or malfunction of the cooling system? Its my understanding that the truck should stay around 190 even while working hard. Thank you

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd fix the brakes and find out.

I assume when you say it's overheating, the radiator cap blew off with coolant everywhere? If not, it's not overheating. Overheating is when it's so hot the cooling system is uncontrolled and boiling over. I'd be surprised if it boiled over at 220.

At 220, was the fan clutch engaged? You'll definitely know if it was just by the sound, it's a very loud roar. Coolant temp will vary based off of load, rpm, and ambient temp. To say that it should never get over 190 is false, when the thermostat doesn't begin to open until 190 on the E engines. With the brakes dragging it was definitely more loaded then normal, how much more depends on hard they were applied.

220 is definitely hot. You shouldn't see that in regular operation. But I wouldn't be surprised you saw that temp if you're heavily loaded, ran against the governor, with a dragging brake.

Granted, on a 466, you don't want to be at 220 regularly, liner o-rings really don't appreciate that and will fail a lot sooner if ran hot all the time. But 220 isn't the end of the world, you just have to have your ducks in a row at that temp. Anything wrong like a bad cap, weak hose, or a faulty fan clutch can quickly turn it into 250+ which is a bad day.

swapdip

Reaction score
Thanks Booyah i appreciate it. Youre right it didn't blow the radiator cap, and the fan was definitely blowing hard. I'll attend to the brakes and give it a good push around and see what happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86