other bio-based engine fluids?

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering that since diesel is petroleum based and non-renewable, if there are other non-renewable engine fluids out there that will go the way of petro-based diesel? Not only is fuel the major concern now but what about transmission fluid, bearing grease, motor oil and other fluilds in the future? What are the chances that they will go the way of petro-diesel? I can't see packing bearings with Crisco but this might have to be considered eventually.

Figured this was worth putting out there for the hell of it.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
first off good question! ive been giving that a thought or two as well.....couple things that ive had cross my mind. some compaines such as amsoil are working synthetic materials with great results, and if i remember correctly those synthetic oils and lubes rely very little on refined crude. id very much doubt with out incredible expense and refinement/transformation vegetable oil based lube/grease would be viable. to get the oils molecular structure to remain consistant under heat, pressure, and the combination of those two (friction) would be quite an accomplishment with simple double carbon chains (c=c=c=c) as heat and pressure both work very well to break those bonds, which is why we can dump WVO in our heated tanks and run down the road on it....im no molecular engineer, but thats where my thoughts have led me.

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the pressure and temp requirements for grease, motor oil and othe engine fluids? I've heard that soy motor oil has been attempted but has only been successful in small engines, like 2-cycle lawn mowers and whatever. I think they said that anything more than that and the soy bean would have to be genetically modified to withstand anything heavier duty than that.