Other benefits for RSK than ride quality/flex? Towing/hauling stability is my most important need..

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 DRW, with a bent front leaf spring, and I'm an INCREDIBLY indecisive person, lol. Seriously...I'll go back and forth for months sometimes before deciding what to do...

My truck's primary use is to haul my 4K pound camper, and tow trailers that can weigh between 5K and 15K loaded, both bumper pull and gooseneck. The only "off road" this truck sees is the dirt road to the camping spots, or air down areas to unload the crawler. Probably more off road than most vehicles see, but it's not like I'm going mud bogging or rock crawling with it either (my Samurai is full built for crawling already..don't need to do it in the tow rig too, lol)

I'm not willing to give up towing/hauling ability or stability for additional comfort. As far as I'm concerned, the truck rides fine as is on stock springs, after I did a bucket seat swap, using seats out of a Suzuki.

My biggest problem right now is that the main leaf on one of the fronts is noticeably bent, and is affecting the alignment. I'm looking at the cost of replacing the stock springs, vs doing a RSK on both stock springs and SD springs. Admittedly, I do like the look of these things jacked up sky high, and part of me misses driving a truck on 44s :D, but that whole "hauling and towing" really limits what I can do.

I can do the fab for making a RSK myself no problem, and cost of doing that plus buying SD springs will be roughly the same as buying new stock springs for the front. But that means I'd also have to lift the rear to match, and I'm not wild about doing a shackle flip, putting higher arched lift springs in, or going to a stupid tall block to level it out. Again, that whole towing & hauling thing...though I suppose a taller block and traction bar wouldn't be horrible.

I'm _really_ leaning towards just putting in a new pair of stock springs, but I'm wondering if there's some other benefit to the RSK, other than ride comfort, that I should be considering, and may make dealing with the rear end issue worth it?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that means I'd also have to lift the rear to match, and I'm not wild about doing a shackle flip, putting higher arched lift springs in, or going to a stupid tall block to level it out. Again, that whole towing & hauling thing...though I suppose a taller block and traction bar wouldn't be horrible.

EXACTLY why I'm not going to do an RSK on mine. You should do some digging into @IDIoit RSK on his truck. It's pretty close to stock height from what I've seen. I'm not confident in my fabrication skills for a task of that importance, but if you're good with a welder you should be able to cut some height out doing it yourself.

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The holding point for me right now isn't "what to do about the rear" or "I want to do an RSK, but not sure how.." but rather "is an RSK even right for me?"

It seems like the RSK is recommended as something EVERYONE! should do, but also only mention the ride quality benefit. In my experience a flat spring will ride the same regardless of which end the shackle is on, and the SD springs are only a benefit due to a slightly longer length.

I get the advantage with an arched spring, and have done it on trail rigs before, but I can't of any reason to do it on this truck. Which is why I'm curious if there might be something I'm not thinking of...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Here's what I haul with my Dodge with the stock 'reversed' front shackle and a rear shackle flip. 2" lift front spring, and stock '95 dodge springs. With a few other tricks - about 4" total lift. The rear is a little soft with 4500# of roofing in the bed, but I'm beefing that up soon. I've hauled heavier with this truck lifted than stock. I feel the 5" wider rear axle has done a lot for stability.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat you are in a few years back, did a ton of research about the rsk and wanted to do it before the price became stupid high trying to order parts from the states, then hearing a few people started to get cracked frame horns and you have to lift it to use the kits available and the little things just started to add up slowly.

So I started researching the coil spring superduty swaps, it’s bolt on, you can get a rolling chassis for about a $1k, get bigger brakes, better turning radius, better ride quality and heavier duty steering components plus no lift over stock. I know a $1k is a lot but when you turn around and sell your dana60 for $800-$1000 it’s covers the cost of the conversion.

Just another possible idea to think about and towing 15k and having 30-40% more truck brakes doesn’t sound to bad either.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat you are in a few years back, did a ton of research about the rsk and wanted to do it before the price became stupid high trying to order parts from the states, then hearing a few people started to get cracked frame horns and you have to lift it to use the kits available and the little things just started to add up slowly.

So I started researching the coil spring superduty swaps, it’s bolt on, you can get a rolling chassis for about a $1k, get bigger brakes, better turning radius, better ride quality and heavier duty steering components plus no lift over stock. I know a $1k is a lot but when you turn around and sell your dana60 for $800-$1000 it’s covers the cost of the conversion.

Just another possible idea to think about and towing 15k and having 30-40% more truck brakes doesn’t sound to bad either.

So I have been looking into this because i would like to swap to newer axles. Where are you finding these rolling chassis? I have been looking and cant find a thing, except for wrecked trucks that they still want $5k plus for, or individual axles that you still have to go and buy all the springs and mounting hardware for.

oh and sorry for the derail. at least it is somewhat on topic.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
So I have been looking into this because i would like to swap to newer axles. Where are you finding these rolling chassis? I have been looking and cant find a thing, except for wrecked trucks that they still want $5k plus for, or individual axles that you still have to go and buy all the springs and mounting hardware for.

Also $1k around here; FB marketplace, CL, etc. Basically the guys that wreck out a truck partway for body, engine/trans but have axles and suspension left over.

I've got most of the superduty stuff (except the actual frame) for a dodge crewcab build.

Double-check on the guys with axles... they may have the rest of it too - hopefully didn't junk it.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm of the mind the factory boys spent more than a fair amount on engineering. If they thought RSK was what it should have they would have built it that way. I'd leave it stock and get some new stock style springs and roll with it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd leave it stock and get some new stock style springs and roll with it.
I feel the same way (at least for myself). After building my Bronco, I don't have much desire to try to reinvent the wheel any more. Improving what's already there? I'm all for that! Not that I mind seeing others reinvent their wheels, it's just not what I want for myself anymore.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm of the mind the factory boys spent more than a fair amount on engineering. If they thought RSK was what it should have they would have built it that way. I'd leave it stock and get some new stock style springs and roll with it.

The truck was engineered for TTB. The monobeam axle was added later with almost no changes. IMHO, they engineered it correctly for a monobeam for '99.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck was engineered for TTB. The monobeam axle was added later with almost no changes. IMHO, they engineered it correctly for a monobeam for '99.

I was going to say this. Wasn't the shackle in the back in the 70's and didn't it go back there with the body change around 99?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc