Opinions Requested

dmm

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying this 1987 F-250. What are your thoughts? Does anyone see any obvious problems or red flags?

Thanks.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks and sounds good. Price seems a bit steep to me, personally, for a 2wd, single cab. But, then, I don't have much money lol

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much money, and KBB only goes back to '94 so I would maybe ask how he actually came up with the $7,800 KBB value. That's more than book value on even mid 2000's pickups.

dmm

Reaction score
I hear you, $5,000 is rather a lot. What would you say it's actually worth? Unfortunately, even given a search radius that covers all 48 contiguous states, I haven't seen anything cheaper that meets my requirements:

1. It must be an IDI.
  2. It must have a manual transmission.
  3. It must be rust free.
  4. Everything must be working.
I'm pretty flexible on everything else. Here are the other trucks I was considering:

http://mankato.craigslist.org/cto/4584399307.html
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4624478404.html

As you can see, they're both about $1,000 more.

Are you sure the KBB only goes back as far as 1994? I know that's true of their website, because I already tried to use it. Is there some other semi-authoritative source for the values of older vehicles?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first one is a $3000 max truck in my mind. The other two are also a little steep, but better deals than the first. The other two are five speeds, one a 4x4 and the other a crew cab dually so you are comparing apples to oranges when it comes to pricing.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 apples/oranges. The other two have added value, the op truck is just a single cab, 2wd and nothing added.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Well the first truck I don't see how many miles on it. 20-22 mpg on an non overdrive idi is not possible except MAYBEE if you keep it at 50-55mph on flat ground under perfect conditions but not likely. I had a new 87 c-6 and the best I got was 18 on flat ground with a gear venders od unit, but it was 4wd. That truck looks like a base model. And never should you put 6ply tires on one of these trucks 8 ply min 10 is what you want.

the 2nd truck is 4wd if you live in Illinois is better for the winter and 4wd trucks are worth more than 2 wd trucks, plus a 7.3 has more power smokes less and uses less oil than a 6.9. Its a 5 speed overdrive so engine will turn a lot less rmp and be much quieter on the road,along with less engine wear at highway speeds. has factory aluminum wheels and looks to be an xlt so may have pw lock and cruise, but doesn't say either way. Also has serpitine belt

The 3rd is best equipped truck ,low miles, turbo, dually but no 4wd .

dmm

Reaction score
You're right, of course. That said, I really don't need a crew / extended cab or DRW. Four-wheel drive would be nice. Overdrive would be great, but isn't the ZF5 a weaker transmission than the T19? I'd really like that turbo; but DRW, for my purposes, just equals worse fuel economy and two more tires to buy. The first truck has the 6.9, which I prefer over the 7.3. For one thing I'd rather not have to worry as much about whether the previous owner(s) kept up the SCA level.

dmm

Reaction score
i like that 93 4x4 myself, but still over priced i think.... $4500 -5k max on the 93...
I like that one too, and it's geographically closest to me. It has spent a few years in MN though. I wonder how it has held up to all the salt. Also, with 165+ on a 7.3, what are the odds of being bitten by the block worm?

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Like others have said, it is over priced. That being said it sounds like you're sold on it already, so if it's what you like go for it. Guy might go down some anyway, might be why he priced it high.

As far as durability, yes, the T19 is the sturdier transmission, you sacrifice some longevity for the OD.

Although I won't go with a single cab, super-cabs for me only, you don't want a crew dually unless you have a use for it. Mileage sucks, parking is impossible, registration is killer.

People worry too much about cavitation, if it was the big concern it's blown out to be we wouldn't be driving these trucks nearly 30 years later.
And worrying doesn't accomplish anything, you could die tomorrow, but worrying about it isn't going to forestall it any.