On "Trucks" today

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hey, does anybody remember the name of
the contraption that Stacey made the bio-diesel with?
I thought I'd remember it, so I never wrote it down. :idiot:

mocetane

Reaction score
I missed it too. Bet they want a large price for it too.
They said the cost to produce bio was $0.70. (That did not include the cost of the unit I am sure).
I think the demand for bio is getting so high now that some places are charging for the French Fry Crude. They will eventually.
Same thing happened years ago with old X-ray film. It used to have a lot of silver in it.
People get smart when they see a demand for something.
Gasoline used to be an unwanted byproduct of kerosene and heating oil production until the dev. of the auto!!! WTH happened??

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the deal with posting at tdr- is it only for folks with a magazine subscription?

By the way there's a couple of threads at thedieselstop about this show. Here's a good one, with lots of reasons for why NOT to buy the contraption they were advertising (ignore the farmer guy who hijacks the middle of the thread to tell everyone you're not supposed to use biodiesel, the thread gets back ontopic later):

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubb...2438472&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The contraption is called the FuelMeister, and it's considered, well, CRAP, by everyone else who makes biodiesel (there's lots of Fuelmeister dealers out there, most of them don't know much about making biodiesel). More details are in the TDS thread, and lots of them are at biodieselnow.com forums also.

Mark

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and for info on making biodiesel, see my website:

www.localb100.com/cbt (it's written by a whole bunch of people , kind of like 'tech articles' here)

For info on making a simple biodiesel processor (works better than a Fuelmeister in a few people's opinion, including folks who have used Fuelmeisters):
www.localb100.com/cbt/appleseedprocessor
An Appleseed costs anywhere from $150 to $450 to build, and a complete system with lab gear etc could be from $250 to $600. It's safer than plastic tanks too.

there are a few businesses who have sprung up to sell either a 'kit' of parts to build an Appleseed processor, or who even sell the whole thing complete, along with lab equipment, etc:
www.biodieselwarehouse.com
www.b100supply.com
www.utahbiodieselsupply.com

disclaimer:
I have no financial connection to any of them, I just like what they're doing.

Mark

Last edited:

rubberfish

Reaction score
WOW,,,,$3000? Converted to Cdn funds,
I could buy an awful lot of #2 for that.
Somebody made a good point though,
that as they catch on, the price will come down.:)

It sure didn't look like a ton of work,
if your just hanging out in the shop anyways.
Except all those trips to KFC are gonna
be tough on the waistline :D

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can build a safer biodiesel processor than the Fulmeister, and then have enough money left over to brew several thousand gallons of biodiesel after that. IT's easy to make biodiesel regardless of whether you've spent $3,000 or not.

Mark

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Moved this to a more appropriate place. Reason because I'm about to start asking technical questions when I get some more time tonight. I had sort of looked at home brewing before but turned it off when I seen that was going to be playing with fire (turkey fryer) but seeing as how we can use an old water heater I'm more interested at this point. Then seeing the demo today on trucks (no heat involved) I'm real interested...

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
argve said:
M Then seeing the demo today on trucks (no heat involved) I'm real interested...

You NEED heat in order to do it right. That "heatless" system on the TV show today is gonna give BioDiesel a bad name!

sagebel

Reaction score
Good thing that clueless farmer guy isn't here, man that guy pi$$ed me off! Back on topic. I WILL get some photos of my processor tomorrow. We finally bought a digital camera so I'll take some time from taking pics of the new addition and get some of the processor.

Scott

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott, if you want to do a writeup including what the parts cost you and where you got them, I'd be happy to host it at the Biodiesel Tutorial- we've been talking about putting together a 'community' section for things like that.

Mark

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok so I need the heat to remove the water from the old oil.

Now I'm reading that the fumes that come off the processor are not something to be messed with - as in they are explosive or flammable and will need to be vented outside of the garage.

Am I reading this correctly that once you mix lye with methanol that it's becomes a very nasty substance that great care has to be taken not to spill it or get it near your skin.

How does an appleseed processor work when it's say 10° outside - reason I ask is I would be working in an unheated garage. I could heat the garage via a kerosene heater but there is the flame thing going on with lye/**** fumes deal....