Old IDIs are getting hard to find

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I'am still looking for a truck want a diesel never go back to a gas again I can't seem to find a good low kilometerage IDI powered F-350 or F-450.

I'am probably going to stick with a F-450 and suffer with 2wd because I don't want to spend a ton of money converting a F-350s brake system to disk brakes by swaping out the 10.25 for a Dana 80 out of a E-450 and converting the vacuum system to hydroboost.

Once you have had 4wheeldisk brakes and hydroboost you really don't want to go back to the poor braking power of disk drum and vacuum booster. Look at Towcat he is or has converted his F-350 to hydroboost brakes because he knows hydroboost is better.

I also don't want to go back to a F-350 2wd the twin I beam suspension doesn't carry a load very well, handles poorly and a 2wd has no ground clearance. I have found a few F-350 4x4s in Alberta through the truck trader but they want a arm and a leg for them when I can buy a F-Superduty same year with same kilometerage cheaper.

What my plans are now is find or put together a 1 or 1.5 ton dump with a 10 or 11' box maybe a mason style box. I'am going to stick with a small truck because tandem axle trucks are getting too expensive to run its not worth it for me to own one.

All I want to-do now is haul is dirt topsoil and do rubbish removal no more hauling freight or lumber stick with the landscaping side of work. A 1-1.5 ton dump works good in combination with a mini excavator or skid steers.

A guy I went to school with has a single axle 5 ton and wishes he never bought it because there isn't enough work for it. I'am so glad I didn't buy a 5 ton dump or I would be in the same situation. The one thing about the other guy is he uses the truck to pull a trailer for his mini excavator so its not a complete loss for him.

The contractor I work for now runs tandems and the trucks just pay for themselves because after to spend the money on repairs tires fuel and drivers wages theres not much profit left. Like he says he needs the trucks for the convience its the excavators and backhoes that make the money.

What I would really like to find is a used hooklift system but I know I'am not holding my breath on that one.

I'am still driving my current truck it doesn't see too many kilometers now that my current job is only a 10 min commute each way :D

I work for a contractor but I still do my own landscaping jobs etc which will get busier as the summer hits.

I'am a little frustrated that I can't find a good used low kilometerage IDI they seem to be non existant anymore. I would like to replace my current truck with something newer and lower kilometerage the orange cancer has a hold on the body plus the fact the chassis has 325,000kms on it shes had a hard life.

Any of the F-Superduty or F-350 trucks are ugh gassers and or on propane even thou my old IDI only gets 11mpg I can never go back to gas.

Anyhow just a update on what I'am doing LOL

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I have found a 90 F-450 locally I know of the guy that owns the truck from the ad it says 126,000kms (78,296 miles) for 9000 dollars then I have found a 97 F-450 PSD power (don't know the kilometers) but they want 18,000 for it.

Both trucks have straight flatdecks no dump decks.

I'am pretty much working for local contractor full time as a mechanic/truckdriver/equipment operator/gopher/slave LOL

I still get jobs on the weekends from my other customers when I was doing General contracting so I still need a truck bigger than a regular P/U truck a 10.5x8 deck would do.

I'am feeling a F-450 maybe overkill for what I need the truck to-do which is why I haven't bought another truck right away.

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Well, Pacific/ Kenworth - I for one am somewhat relieved to see this post back up again. Kind of like an old friend amidst all the cares and turmoil of our busy days. Heck, almost like a trusty old icon you can admire and know you'll be seeing around for a good long time. :Sly
I'm not sure I agree the old IDI's are that scarce, I seem to be seeing lots of them around the valley here. Perhaps old KW's are getting hard to find? ;Really
Sorry, that's not going to help your search. :backoff So, don't get hasty, be sure to consider all the pertinant information (several times - front to back)
Full report required.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
My point to the story is the days of finding a good used IDI are going I look through the local there is litterally nothing forsale.

I'am not planning on buying anything larger than a 1 or 1.5 ton truck I'am happy with what I'am doing now atleast I have a regular pay check coming in again LOL

Like I said I still have people calling me to-do sideline hauling jobs so I would still like to have a dually truck with a dumping flatdeck. The sideline jobs are a easy 100 dollars for couple hours work.

I have been turning them away because my current truck doesn't dump and who wants to work ******* days off. Usually what people want carted away is brush/tree waste or waste wood from construction sites both a bear to unload by hand. Its easy to throw on but taking it off takes a easy 30mins because its all stuck together in a big lump. With brush if you don't stack it on the truck evenly it becomes a miserable ***** to deal with.

Its fire season now but this area is trying to eliminate open burning of wood waste,brush and leaves to try cut down on the smoke it is a good idea. You see alot of the local residents with their little single axle utility trailers heaped up with branches and brush heading off to the landfill. I know I could get those jobs if I worked at it some extra cash in the pocket is nice to have.

I would really like to have another diesel truck again but the price of high kilometerage IDI costs a arm and a leg :eek:

I can find a decent truck with 460 power but I don't think I want to carry my crying towel in the truck to use after I fill up. The price of reg gas is dollar per litre same price as diesel fuel cookoo

A person gets screwed any way you look at it you can buy a worn out high kilometerage diesel powered truck for a outrageous price to get slightly better fuel mileage or buy a lower kilometerage gasser truck cheaper but get reamed with bad fuel mileage.

I do have to make a decision thou between two jobs where the one job I have to commute a hour a day. The problem is that job is only full time for 3 months and back on call maybe working a week every 90 days for the rest of the time.

It will be expensive for me to commute in my truck which I did last year the price of fuel was alot cheaper. It used to cost me about 8 dollars a day I would be looking at 14 dollars a day so it will be about 1000 dollars in fuel for 3 months of work.

Or I stick with the current job I have now I don't know how long I will be working but I only commute 20 mins per day spend about 25 dollars in fuel per week.

I like working for the contractor I'am learning alot my other job is a part time gov't job I get paid more but I really don't like the job but like said the money is good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance