Old banks non wastegate parts

71cc

Reaction score
I found a good used Banks system with the square box.The down pipe uses a 6 bolt flange with two gaskets(one on each side of heat shield).So is this a standard pattern or unique to banks? I would also like to keep the filter in the box, but it is missing the element.They are like $65 new. Does anyone have a good one they would like to sell? I believe it is the 41505 3-1/2" tall filter. I can make the gasket for the downpipe if I knew what material to use.I am missing the little brace that holds the airbox as well if anyone has that I would be interested.I don't think I can PM since I am new, so just respond here.

Thanks, Kevin

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Kevin, the exhaust flange gasket is a common part that any turbo rebuild shop will carry. It's a fiber wrapped metal gasket.

AS far as the Banks box, there's some pretty upgrades to ditch the box that guys have done here and makes it far easier to work on. ;Sweet

IIRC ya should be able to pm, just gotta go into the user cp and turn it on so you can accept pm's.

Welcome to OB!;Sweet

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran mine without that gasket or the heat shield and never had an issue, the downpipe should stick out past the flange and actually go into the exhaust housing, making a mechanical seal. The gasket is a good idea, but, I put mine together on a Sunday without it intending to install one when I got one, but, never did get one for it in almost 3 years... LOL

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
AS far as the Banks box, there's some pretty upgrades to ditch the box that guys have done here and makes it far easier to work on. ;Sweet

Really? I am super interested in that. That air box just takes up space. I would LOVE to see it gone!

Thad

tractorman86

Reaction score
just measure the OD of the turbo's inlet you can get donaldson rubber adapters from like 2.5 and up to 4" that is what i am doing on my ats.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Really? I am super interested in that. That air box just takes up space. I would LOVE to see it gone!

Thad

Yessiree!

A couple of adapters as Jacob said and tada!!! That thing is gone.
I now have a nice blue rechargeable cone shaped filter that gets sucked on now and I think I have a total of 30 buck involved!;Sweet

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
OK, but the issue now is what filter and where to mount it to get the coolest cleanest air?

Ideas?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I've got it mounted with nothing more than a 45 degree piece of 3" sewer pipe attached to the rubber couplers just right off the turbo.

So far I haven't been able to tell a difference in performance from the old Banks box with a fresh cold air source.:dunno

The filter options are pretty much what ever tickles yer fancy as far as style goes.

I chose one something like this but in blue.

71cc

Reaction score
OK, but the issue now is what filter and where to mount it to get the coolest cleanest air?

Ideas?

This is my primary reason for keeping the box.You can route clean cool air into it and not worry about trashing the filter.The box even has a water drain hole in the bottom in the event that rain is scooped in,it should not soak the filter.I actually consider the box to be the most space efficient place for the filter.There is also a potential for suck dirt anywhere along the intake track when using a remote cone filter.Every joint behind the filter is a possible dirty air leak.The only downside to me in using the box is being limited to using an oil/gauze type element. I would prefer a good paper filter.

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score

Thad

same here! talk about a pain in the knuckles having to remove all of those
bolts and take the thing off to get at anything on top of the engine.
i usually love overbuilt, but this airbox is ridiculous.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here! talk about a pain in the knuckles having to remove all of those
bolts and take the thing off to get at anything on top of the engine.
i usually love overbuilt, but this airbox is ridiculous.

I'll second that. I just bought the 87 in my signature and would love to run a conical paper air filter and be able to work on the top of the engine! Any part numbers and/or pictures from those in the know? Also, is there a minimum/maximum air filter size?

Thanks,
Peter Arnsdorff

Last edited:

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another quick question; how does one hook up a boost gauge with the Banks box removed? (IIRC, the box has a fitting to mount the boost sending unit aft oft the cdr mounting point.)

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
you would just have to mount it to whatever airbox replaces the old airbox.
i was thinking about how i could fab up something while i was under the hood today.
it really wouldn't be all to hard to make a small airbox that bolts to the engines intake and couples directly to the turbo outlet. then just tap it for the boost gauge fitting and mount the cdr
on the intake tube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online