Ok to run 15-50W?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
We started carrying Mystik JP8(I think thats what its called) oil at work, it's a synthetic blend in a 15-50. It comes in a 2 gallon jug and is a bit cheaper than the buying 2 gallons of anything else we carry. Do you think that would be too heavy to run in colder climates? Winter temps can get to 0* out here but it doesn't happen often, the norm is usally 20-30*.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
We started carrying Mystik JP8(I think thats what its called) oil at work, it's a synthetic blend in a 15-50. It comes in a 2 gallon jug and is a bit cheaper than the buying 2 gallons of anything else we carry. Do you think that would be too heavy to run in colder climates? Winter temps can get to 0* out here but it doesn't happen often, the norm is usally 20-30*.

It's a 15wt oil just like the Delo 15w-40 or rotella 15w-40 you've probably been running in it already. That upper number doesn't mean it turns into a 50 wt, it just means that you have a 15 wt that has the film strength properties of a 50 wt. If the stuff were to get as thick as an actual straight 50 wt, it would be just like an 80-90wt gear oil, and you'd have a hard time pouring it, but that's not the case
The stuff is a synthetic blend so it's going to have advanced properties for cold performance over a straight 15w-40 dino oil

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes, it is diesel rated and it has a pour point of -17 deg f which is better than a lot of 15w-40 dino oils, but bear in mind that with a - 17 pour point even if the truck will fire below that, if the mercury drops below that point at night, you need to plug your block heater in or your oil is not going to be circulating very well at startup until you get some heat in the engine and can lead to wear. I don't know how cold it gets in that part of ID , but that is something to keep an eye on. I run Amsoil 15w-40 diesel and marine and it flows down to -44 deg f , so I know I'm good down to where I know it would take the block heater to get the thing to fire anyway. I've fired it a better than -20 with no problems.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
It's pretty rare to ever get below 0* out here. I would be using my heater regardless to facilitate easier cold starting but it may have just died on me. I still need to take the plug apart and make sure everything is connected in there before I write it off.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
It's good stuff....

I have been running it in all of my diesels for about 2 years now and I absolutely love it. Best of all - The price is sweet for the 2 gal. jug too....

Buy It- Run It - Love It....

Hoss....

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My IDI has never known any other brand of oil... And still going strong @ 330,000+ miles!!!

You can find it at autozone, advance parts and the Checker-Schuck's-Kragen-O'reilly group...

BTW, it's a pita to fill using the 2 gallon jugs... In Texas, O'reilly has the more convenient qt size:hail

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting, though i thought the main advantage of a synthetic was the increased viscosity at startup and that -17 pour isn't that much of an improvement.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have been running it in all of my diesels for about 2 years now and I absolutely love it. Best of all - The price is sweet for the 2 gal. jug too....

Buy It- Run It - Love It....

Hoss....

That good to hear, I'll be getting it from O'reilly for about $27 for a two gallon jug. Everything else there is $15 for a one gallon jug so I save a little and get to step up to a synthetic blend as well. ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
interesting, though i thought the main advantage of a synthetic was the increased viscosity at startup and that -17 pour isn't that much of an improvement.

REmember, this stuff is a synthetic blend, not a straight synthetic, and the synthetic in it is a hydrocracked synthetic instead of a true , high end synthetic, but still, it is a step in the right direction and will provide advantages over a straight dino oil, and every little bit of advantage you can get in making an engine last longer, is worth taking ;Sweet

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of notes. The oil in question is Mystik JT-8. I went looking for some infor on it and i figured it wasn't JP8 (jet fuel. . .diesel)

the state sheet i found for it list it's pour point as -27f (15wt40) and -22 (15wt50)
http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20003.pdf

Shell Rotella T (15wt40) has a pour point of -33f
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:G8LHa7VJvp0J:www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/RotellaTCI-4CI-4.pdf+shell+rotella+t+15w40+specs&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj-w5LsZa36GdNKSxz7fw45OZueVfGl1R-lMMkBkhJIFcP9X3RRNukpfmmERQhhEQWPU1B_herELFkWTFMEf3ToYnYFE73ET_WgjDFBfS67B1up8NTB2v6qXLwgMa2c637p-RmX&sig=AHIEtbSNYCqTUUOZNyHPvKXVh8RvJuaVGg&pli=1

I don't see a lot of differences in the oils that would lead me to use the JT-8, but no reason not to either. Now if they made a nice blended 5wt40 i mightb e tempted. Seems to me a 5wt40 would be a good call during the winter months, Any thoughts on that RDSL you know you stuff what you think?

shell rotella t6 5et40 -49f pour point
http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-52.pdf

and then there is amsoil 15wt40 -44 as per their website.

It all makes my head hurt buti figure if i am paying this much attention to what oil i use then the truck is in good hands regardlesss of what i choose lol

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A couple of notes. The oil in question is Mystik JT-8. I went looking for some infor on it and i figured it wasn't JP8 (jet fuel. . .diesel)

the state sheet i found for it list it's pour point as -27f (15wt40) and -22 (15wt50)
http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20003.pdf

Shell Rotella T (15wt40) has a pour point of -33f
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:G8LHa7VJvp0J:www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/RotellaTCI-4CI-4.pdf+shell+rotella+t+15w40+specs&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj-w5LsZa36GdNKSxz7fw45OZueVfGl1R-lMMkBkhJIFcP9X3RRNukpfmmERQhhEQWPU1B_herELFkWTFMEf3ToYnYFE73ET_WgjDFBfS67B1up8NTB2v6qXLwgMa2c637p-RmX&sig=AHIEtbSNYCqTUUOZNyHPvKXVh8RvJuaVGg&pli=1

I don't see a lot of differences in the oils that would lead me to use the JT-8, but no reason not to either. Now if they made a nice blended 5wt40 i mightb e tempted. Seems to me a 5wt40 would be a good call during the winter months, Any thoughts on that RDSL you know you stuff what you think?

shell rotella t6 5et40 -49f pour point
http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-52.pdf

and then there is amsoil 15wt40 -44 as per their website.

It all makes my head hurt buti figure if i am paying this much attention to what oil i use then the truck is in good hands regardlesss of what i choose lol

There are a number of conflicting temperature specs floating around on that mystic . If you managed to actually find that on their website, it's probably the most recent, although someof the other listed figures are from group tests of a number ofdifferent oils andmight actually be more real world.

If VA as listed on your tag is where you spend most of your time, then there is no reason a 15w won't suffice year round.Most commercial rigs still use 15w-40 dino oil in all climates, and 20 years ago the rule used to be above 10 degf shut down below leave it running or plug in so the things will fire off for a heavy diesel, but even dino oils have dropped their pour points in recent years. If you ever get temps that are lower than the pour point of your oil and you don't have a place to plug in , then yes, you need to go with a lighter oil, that's the nutshell version. Otherwise you will be running dry, plain and simple.

It's no secret that there is no love lost between me and Rotella after loosing an engine to that stuff, but you show an affinity toward it and if that's what trips your trigger, make dang sure that you ALWAYS carry enough spare with you that you never have to run the risk of having to mix the stuff with anything else. Their oil has always done fine by itself, but they have a poor track record of rushing changes to market without thorough testing in regards to full market compatibility. I found out about this the hard way and it ruined a family vacation... not to mention a nice car ( trunk space was at a premium for the trip, no room to carry extra jugs of synthetic and it ate a bit of oil like all diesel cars do, so I switched it to rotella a while before the trip since I figured I could get that everywhere. ran on the stuff for a couple of months , but had to mix a qt of something else in Oklahoma in and in 500 miles the bearings and rings were gone, the stuff turned to the consistancy of water,didn't even have enough power to make it back up the hill out of Albequerque )
I found out later from a friend at a heavy truck shop that rotella was quietly paying for all the rebuilds on newer engines that were still under factory warranty under deals with the factories to keep things quiet, but for older engines, you were left holding the bag.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff Mr. RDSL as always you take on oil products is highly valued. I don't have any particulat love for rotella it's just a common oil that folks use and for the pour temp info i thought it was a good comparrison. I don't see much great about the JT-8 either. My true preference is amsoil, but it odes become cost prohibitive to me since it seems to burn off/spill/elves eat it out of my engine faster than some other oils. I am leaning on going that way again, but i just try and think everything through beyond "ohhh it's nifty" lol i went through the spare gallon i bought from you in ~1.5 months or ~1800miles so at 12k miles change intervals that's 6.66 gallons extra i use (what an ominous number).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online