Oil tests

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
everyone has an oil preference. i just went from rotella t to delo 400 myself. i wont beleive any test results unless its in a completly controlled environmnet with all variables accounted for. till then, if im feeling a little adventurous, ill try any 15-40 with a shiny label.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One noticeable item was the difference with and without the bypass filter. Wonder how much of a difference it would make on our trucks since we change the engine oil a lot more often?

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why does the shell test say that Shell is better than Delo, and the amsoil test shows different results???? Hmmmmm

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
why does the shell test say that Shell is better than Delo, and the amsoil test shows different results???? Hmmmmm

Maybe One rotella was non synthetic I used to use rotella forget if a T was in the trademark?? I have beeen using delvac for several years-my observation was that oil consumption was lower then the rotella I used several years ago. Any Ideas-??

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As you all may remember many many moons ago I was doing regular testing on The E while running Rotella and my wear levels weren't all that good and in a last ditch effort to try and make things last longer I went to syn (AMSOIL) and when I took in the first oil sample to Blackstone the old man in there just about beat me over the head because he said that SYN oils weren't any better just cost more. Well my sample came back better in that my wear levels dropped by half. They were surprised as I was as well. Well the trend continued as oil change intervals passed. Then I did the same thing on my current ride (see sig) and I seen the same type of decrease, not half the wear but it dropped (the wear on this engine was no were in the same ball park as the E was even with syn oil).

I have run the same testing on my MIL's car and same thing we gained lower wear levels by switching to AMSOIL (I suspect that any syn oil will give better results but I was having good luck with AMSOIL so I stuck with what was working for me).

Now fast forward to a couple of months ago and I drained the oil in ye ole Dodge and turned around to grab my jugs of AMSOIL and realized that I didn't have enough on hand to actually do an oil change - oops... so as I stood there with no oil in the truck and no more AMSOIL to put back into it I realized that I was in a pickle because it will take a couple of days to get AMOSOIL in (mail order).... So I headed down to autozone and picked up Shell Rotella and put it in it's place figured that I would just run one interval of dead dino oil and get back on track next time. Well I didn't have 5th gear at the time so when I would run at highway speeds the engine was just right off redline (2800 rpms) I would notice that once I got up to speed for about 15 mins that the oil pressure would start to drop off - slow down and the oil pressure would come back up after a little bit but heat her back up and oil pressure would drop again. This told me that the oil had to be thinning out once it got hot and was working harder. After getting the 5th gear fixed and not running the higher rpms the oil pressure stays right where it should.

Take it how you want but I'll run syn oils from now on....

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Ill run American XT from family dollar or castrol 20w-50 from now on. It's given me a quieter motor which is amazing....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've beem running Delo 15w-40 in mine. I've been thinking about switching over to Amsoil, argve did you see any change in fuel economy when switching?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the synthetic, but there is the worry of causing these old seals to leak since they've been conditioned to dino oil all their lives. Also worry a bit about too much detergency...but with the E you had nothing to lose and the Cummins still has a ton of life in her. Thing is for guys like me with high mileage but well running engines...its a big step and one we might not like the resilts of. What about something like the Rotella semi-synthetic. I seem to recall a guy here used that and had pretty good results with it.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
one of the questions I rarely see raised about syn oils is:
"How good is good enough"
I mean it's one thing to say wear was reduced by 50% or what not.
But if the useful life of one of these engines is 500k, and you change the oil every 3k, thats about 167 oil changes over the life of the engine.
Delo is about eleven bucks a gallon. oil change is 10 quarts/ 2.5 gallons/$27.50.
So I'm looking at about $4592.50 in oil over that period.
If syn oils can extend oil change intervals to be cost competitive, or if they keep something from breaking prematurely, I'm interested. But if I can get 500k out of dino it seems foolish to spend more money on an engine that isn't that expensive to replace...
That said I do factor the annoyance factor of pulling engines fairly high:rotflmao
I'm curious what has led others to use syn oils rather than "it goes to eleven"

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
one of the questions I rarely see raised about syn oils is:
"How good is good enough"
I mean it's one thing to say wear was reduced by 50% or what not.
But if the useful life of one of these engines is 500k, and you change the oil every 3k, thats about 167 oil changes over the life of the engine.
Delo is about eleven bucks a gallon. oil change is 10 quarts/ 2.5 gallons/$27.50.
So I'm looking at about $4592.50 in oil over that period.
If syn oils can extend oil change intervals to be cost competitive, or if they keep something from breaking prematurely, I'm interested. But if I can get 500k out of dino it seems foolish to spend more money on an engine that isn't that expensive to replace...
That said I do factor the annoyance factor of pulling engines fairly high:rotflmao
I'm curious what has led others to use syn oils rather than "it goes to eleven"

I can run syn oils for just about 25k miles and mimic the wear of running 5k so I'm gaining 20k miles on an oil change. I view it also as I don't have deal with changing the oil so much - it really doesn't take much to swap the oil but if it gets me out of having to work even a little bit I'm all over it.

JD - you will notice that when you switch to syn oils you will experience some seepage for about the first 3~5k miles then it will taper off and you won't have a problem. I've experienced it on every engine that I have switched over to syn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online