oil pressure

chinsmackers

Reaction score
i've seen info about some sort of pressure valve or release valve having to do with oil pressure. unfortunately, i'm having no luck finding it... can someone point me in the right direction or explain to me what/where it is?

my problem: my oil pressure guage reads low constantly, just above the "low" mark. it doesn't matter at what rpm (high or low). i'm using rotellat 15w30 and it gets changed at 5k mile intervals (fresh right now).

i'd appreciate some help

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey a couple things. 1st, the part you are talking about is the oil pressure relief valve in the rear oil cooler header, most folks say it is not serviceable but others disagree. the aprt is still available from Ford as an entire rear header unit. Before you tear into it though..tee in a mechanical or electric pressure gauge to teh sender that will give you a number, not just Low, High or somewhere in the range, that oil pressure gauge is not a real gauge, it is a switch that will read somewhere in the normal range as long as oil pressure is at least 7psi. For your reference, oil pressure should be 40PSI minimum at 2200RPM and up. Look for 10PSI or so at hot idle. Good luck with it,
J.D.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I have a mechanical gauge, and I have lower pressure than I like.
Can someone post a tutorial on how to service/shim/replace that oil relief valve?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online