Oil pressure reads low on OE gauge at turbo (Banks)

Reaction score
Hey all -

My OE oil pressure gauge has read low since....well, not sure. I've owned the truck for 1.5 years, and while I cannot definitively say it has always been low, it's certainly been low for quite some time. The gauge typically barely gets to the right of the the red line, let alone anywhere near 'NORMAL'. But, unplugging the unit DOES cause the gauge to zero out all the way to the left, so I know it's at least reading something. My truck has the Banks kit, so the sending unit has been relocated to the turbo just next to the supply line.

Today, I replaced the sending unit with a brand new Motorcraft unit, and if anything, the gauge now reads lower than before. FWIW the old one was about the diameter of a quarter and the body was about .75-1" in length. The new one is almost the diameter of a soda can and about 1.5" long.

The oil looks fine (black as tar, but what else is new?), and it doesn't consume a drop.

Any thoughts? And yes, an oil pressure gauge is likely on the Christmas list.

Mike

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a problem with mine not reading consistently. I replaced the sender(switch) with a new one and still the same problem. I ended up cutting the end off the wire and replacing it with a ring terminal and tightened it down with two nuts on the sender and now my gauge reads properly. I have installed an aftermarket gauge to see the actual pressure but the gauge reading erratically bothered me.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The books and computers will still show both and many more sensors that were probably never used.

I know for sure the one you put on has to be a real pressure sender. What's the P/N?

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a problem with mine not reading consistently. I replaced the sender(switch) with a new one and still the same problem. I ended up cutting the end off the wire and replacing it with a ring terminal and tightened it down with two nuts on the sender and now my gauge reads properly. I have installed an aftermarket gauge to see the actual pressure but the gauge reading erratically bothered me.

Same thing here, but use a wire tie to tighten up the pigtail connection.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Get a real pressure gauge.

2) Take reading with the turbo connected at idle, then disconnect and plug the oil line at the turbo and try it again. Minimize the time (as in don't leave in running for minutes, 30-60 seconds should be fine) running and don't rev it up.

The pressure reading the second time should be a more accurate reading on what the main oil pressure is since the flow through the turbo and restriction of the small feed galley/elbow/hose will probably cause the oil pressure at the sensor to be somewhat lower than the actual line pressure.

Honestly as long as you've got ~10 psi hot idle and 20-30 at higher rpm you should be fine. These engines use high volume low pressure oil systems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726