Oil leak

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An external oil leak from blown headgasket, pretty unlikely. Why don't you describe the leak and location first and we may be able to judge the problem a little better?

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's coming from the front of the drivers side head. If I get a chance I will take a pic in the day time.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the pic below of a blown head gasket, you'll see the hole up from the water passage on the far left. That hole is the oil drain back passage. That's really the only oil and it's not under pressure, just drains.
I'd be suspecting valve cover gaskets.
You must be registered for see images attach

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if oil is getting past the pistions, the rings are more than likey wore out. im guessing its your valve cover gaskets because mine were bad and leaking down onto the bottom of my head and made it look like it was leaking oil

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking the valve covers also but I just couldn't see where it was leaking from the valve cover to the bottom of the head. I know that the covers need new gaskets so maybe that is just the problem. I know the rings are not wore out because the compression check was good on all cylinders.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I would say its hard to diagnose a leak on a dirty engine so get it good and clean. that being said, your valve cover gaskets are probably brittle and leak. Its a pretty cheap part and install is easy. How much oil is leaking? every thing leaks a little on my truck. I only need to add a quart or two every 1000 miles so I'm not too concerned, even though my engine looks like it was recovered from a grease pit.