oil leak - unknown part

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after resolving my transmission issue and was able to do my first private job with the truck thanks to those that contributed information by the way I'll probably post an update later.
anyway I have a severe amount of oil leaking from this long cylinder that goes into the side of the oil filter head I have browsed my manual off and on all day trying to figure out what this part is called I can see the trails of oil coming from the bottom of that cylinder coming down the oil filter and dripping off any information on this part would be greatly appreciated. I still need DOT inspection but I'm not going to pay to not pass until I get this leak fixed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From the sound of what you describe I feel you have a oil cooler leak. Oil runs thru the cooler and that long tube you see is what the oil touches. The coolant runs thru the tube bundle as seen in the great pics posted here in this post. You will get dirty doing this job but.. You might find the pin hole in the shell and be able to install a piece or rubber and a hose clamp to stop the leak. Might even likely pass inspection too. This is a temp repair too but could last many thousands of miles too. I suspect you have salted roads and this is the results. I have spare cooler bundles if you end up wanting to replace this one but pm me if interested. Many other members have spares of the oil coolers too.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Koch13351 !!!! CHOOOO CHOOOO thank you so much sir!!! You too icanfixall! !! I just went and got a gasket set for $6 and the O-rings I am really and truly hoping for the sake of my sanity that I do not have to take my hydraulic pump off to gain access to the front mount I'm gonna snap some pics give me a few minutes cuz I have to transfer them

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant post pics, got busy with roadside. I have all of the bolts out at least and have read on that post link above to remove motor mount bolts and jack engine up. Unfortunately my 3 ton jack can't lift it it failed while trying to raise it a few inches to get the tranny out last week. Any other tips or tricks you have found to make the removal less painless?

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen cases where just moving the steering shaft over allowed the oil cooler to be removed.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would most likely have to move the hydro pump up and out of the way to access the bolts on the steering shaft. I just watched a video and it clarified that. But its worth a shot. I can and am willing to move the motor up it is super difficult and tight :-( Im semi disabled... may have to hire one of these homeless guys to put some ass behind it lol.
I've seen cases where just moving the steering shaft over allowed the oil cooler to be removed.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a late start today but remove the top bolt from the steering shaft and from the looks of it I have to pull the steering wheel if I'm not mistaken hopefully I can get this shaft out of the way to get this oil cooler off and finished today

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have the shaft / rag joint disconnected at the steering box? Try just sliding it up the telescoping section; MAYBE that'll buy you the needed room :dunno: .

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is the truck I am thinkijg he has a Hydraulic pump by his power steering pump.

He likely cannot easily access the steering box and rag joint to remove the collapsable shaft.

No you do not need to remove the steering column...just that shaft.

You may consider modifilying the inner fender some with say tin snips...cut off wheel...sawsall...but be carefull and do NOT CUT HOSES OR ELECTRICAL...to allow greater access...and maybe pop rivet a replacement patch panel in later...

The engine mount and jack is also doable...maybe get a jack borrow beg...pawnshop...heck an engine hoist can lift from above if need be...

Just saying...think outside the box...

If you have to remove hyd pump for access so be it.....sometimes the long hard way is the quickest simplest way....dont ask how I know

Good luck

JM7.3CW

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
IIRC, there is a bolt in the upper section of the steering shaft. If you have the rag joint disconnected, you should be able to unbolt the shaft up towards the firewall and pull that section out, negating any need to pull the steering column.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen!!!! Got some great news!! I have made ALL KINDS OF GAINS! After me complaining in a sense earlier i went back out there and after a hour and half was able to figure it out! I did remove the 1 bolt in the steering shaft and not knowing the shaft slid up i eventually slid it up on accident. Once i realized it i was able to pull it up and out of the way. My problems did not stop there..... On my truck ( may be like this on non super duty or just the super duty and mobile home chassis ) there is a brakeline block a junction if you will that was right in the way of getting the cooler out. it was a tight spot because there is a brittle brake line right beneath the nut, with a little patients and 15 minutes or so i was able to get the junction block bolt to slowly bend it out of the way and then the magic happened.... YOU READY???? oil in the face!! LOL... its a dirty job but somebody has to do it lol... i was laughing like hell, i did not expect that amount to come out but oh well its out. I followed the post http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?44702-Oil-cooler-reseal THANKS again KOSH! and just took my time to clean it up. I almost had enough strength to put the caps on with just my body weight but needed a little more than 150 lbs lol. Used the bed of the towtruck :p
Had to break and do 3 lockouts back to back, got some chicken and dr. pepper now about to hook up my lights and hopefully in a few hours have this thing back in! I picked me up some moog Trackbar bushings , if i have not went psycho after this cooler installation ill pop those in. Im hoping that will reduce the violent driver side shaking when hitting a bump at 15 or so mph. Can't safely tow a car like that so its gonna get fixed asap. I cannot thank all of you for your input enough. Man to man thank you guys! My 17 yr old son has been a no call no show for 2 weeks now, almost a week before the trans seal went out heading to my first tow job so this has been a daunting 2 weeks for me physically and couldnt have done it without you guys!

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey madpogue i figured it out on accident but just took the 1 bolt off , marked it off , and while under the truck trying to get the cooler out i noticed it slid up past where it was mounted and..... put 2 and 2 together and walla!!
So you have the shaft / rag joint disconnected at the steering box? Try just sliding it up the telescoping section; MAYBE that'll buy you the needed room :dunno: .

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So what was the leak issue with the oil cooler??? So far you have not explained what you found when you removed it. Glad you worked thru the issues and now have some knowledge you can pass on to others asking for help. This is how we all started here and some of us learn every dy reading these posts too.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to finally get the oil cooler apart, new orings but got the wrong gasket set so had to wait on that. I still have a good bit of oil coming from above the cooler which i knew before hand but could visually see that the oil cooler was part of the issue. I am going to diagnose where the other is coming from after i type this post up. I am so ready to start making some $$$$. I suspect the valve cover because that is the only other thing to my knowledge that oil could be coming from. im going to torque the valve cover bolts down and see if that will slow the leak up enough to get this DOT inspection before 7pm tonight. I know the guy and hoping he will take my word that i am going to jump on the valve cover gasket first thing in the morning but have calls coming in left and right and need to make some cheeeese!!!!! lol .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online