Oil in coolant reservoir.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I have drops of oil floating in my degas bottle in the morning when the coolant is cold (it floats on the top as globules). The only way I can think it got there is when I changed my coolant bypass filter and may have over oiled the gasket allowing a bit of oil to circulate throughout the system. To remove it, when the engine is cold I have disconnected the top hose on the degas bottle and tried to float the globules of oil out by adding 50/50 coolant until it flows out. I've done this for the past two days, but am not sure it's all gone. Fortunately, oil is lighter than coolant and I believe there is none in the system when cold because of this.

Is there a better way of removing the floating oil globules (visible only when the coolant is cold) than my method?

Is this dangerous for my engine?

Are there other possibilities of how it got there?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Well I can't tell you the beest way to remove the oil without flushing the cooling system.

If its a very small amount of oil it wont hurt a thing.

The oil cooler is a source but that gets messy.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Rich, when the eng is cold...remove the top rad hose and see if any oil is present.

What color and texture is the oil globulants?

Combustion contaminated oil in coolant will appear dark baby chit like :eek:

While "******" oil will be light milky appearing.

This is a good reason NOT to use eng oil to lube any coolant gaskets .....YA GOOBER ;p

Use some good silicone plumbers grease ;Sweet

You are not showing any signs of pukeing coolant when hot?

Remove your oil fill cap and see if any coolant is present on the bottom of the cap....

Next culprit may be oil cooler seals.........:popcorn

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
geonc said:
Rich, when the eng is cold...remove the top rad hose and see if any oil is present.

What color and texture is the oil globulants?

Combustion contaminated oil in coolant will appear dark baby chit like :eek:

While "******" oil will be light milky appearing.

This is a good reason NOT to use eng oil to lube any coolant gaskets .....YA GOOBER ;p

Use some good silicone plumbers grease ;Sweet

You are not showing any signs of puking coolant when hot?

Remove your oil fill cap and see if any coolant is present on the bottom of the cap....

Next culprit may be oil cooler seals.........:popcorn

OK so I'm a goober :idiot: (note current avatar)...but this is the 5th coolant filter change for my bypass and I've always used motor oil to lube the gasket without a problem. My oil is only 300 miles old so the globules are amber, but will only appear floating when the coolant is cold. There is no coolant in my oil evidenced by my most recent Blackstone report of last week. See attachment. There is no puking when hot. I've decided to get an "oil only" pad to float in my degas bottle which will soak up the oil but not any coolant. Then I'll keep an eye on it for a while to see if any more globules appear.

Attachments

• _sm.jpg
    _sm.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 10

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
OK GOOBER ;Poke :D

Seriously, you don't really need a "special" pad to soak up cold oil "globules"....just use some good paper towles or some of the "heavy" flow feminine pads ;Sweet

Keep us posted Rich :thumbsup:

I can see Rich going to the store for the pads......

Rich: I need some feminine pads

Goofy grocery boy: For what kind of flow?

Rich: ......lineoleum?......... :rotflmao ;p

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
geonc said:
I can see Rich{ard} going to the store for the pads......

Rich{ard}: I need some feminine pads

Goofy grocery boy: For what kind of flow?

Rich{ard}: ......lineoleum?......... :rotflmao ;p

Originally Posted by geonc

Never argue with fools, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

:popcorn LOL

Last edited:

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
geonc said:
SO....what's the verdict on the coolant....:popcorn

Crumm over at SDD is sending me an "oil only" rag to cut into 2" X 3" pieces to float in my degas. I've tried "fishing" out the globules with Q-Tips with less than limited success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726