Oh S**t tranny problems

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
well guys i knew it was coming but i didn't expect it this soon, my trans has been squeeling a little and i figured it was the TOB i planned to replace the whole kit this past weekend but didn't get to it. today i was hauling some horses and when i cranked up to leave i heard the tranny squeeling BAD. I headed out and when i got on the road i heard a wierd grinding sound like you put a stick in a fan or something. i stopped and the squealing was horrible. can anybody maybe give me some info that will ease my woes. Is it likely that anything else is broke or can i just put a clutch kit and resurface the flywheel and run the ole girl again.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
well if its the pilot its possible that the input shaft of the trans could be ruined, but its rare.

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a quiet squeal/whine that has howled twice now when in neutral that stops if you just barely tap the clutch, it has been like this for about 1/2 a year now, saving up for a LUK;Sweet . I've heard somewhere that, correct me if I am wrong, the pilot bushing/bearing is NOT lubed enough or at all in service and can cause this over time. Anyway good luck and let us know the outcome.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
might have been your throw out bearing self destructing. if it broke apart and let pieces fly around it can be bad.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well guys i knew it was coming but i didn't expect it this soon, my trans has been squeeling a little and i figured it was the TOB i planned to replace the whole kit this past weekend but didn't get to it. today i was hauling some horses and when i cranked up to leave i heard the tranny squeeling BAD. I headed out and when i got on the road i heard a wierd grinding sound like you put a stick in a fan or something. i stopped and the squealing was horrible. can anybody maybe give me some info that will ease my woes. Is it likely that anything else is broke or can i just put a clutch kit and resurface the flywheel and run the ole girl again.

SMF or stock DMF? If you still have your DMF, it may have let go on you. If so, rebuild/replacement is gonna cost ya' - like over a grand....

If you have the DMF and want to go to a LUK setup, that will run you about $500-$600.

If you already have a LUK setup, a replacement disk, PP, & TOB will run you about $300-$400.

If you have a stock SMF from a 6.9 (or decide you want to buy one) the clutch components will cost you about $200 and the SMF about $150.

So how bad ($$) it is depends on what you have and which way you decide to go to fix it....

Read the DMF to SMF conversion thread in the IDI Tech section. Pretty much every otion you can think of is discussed in there....

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also seen shift forks break from bad TOB's. That is probably what it was. If you go dual mass the fly is about $700 and it can't be surfaced has to be replaced. If you go single then they can be resurfaced.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
allright guys a little update i didn't get to work on it much today but i got everything off the tranny and the bottom cover off of the front of the tranny. When i pulled the cover off the front a bunch of metal shavings and what looked like ground up washers fell out of there i just stopped and went inside i couldn't bear to go any farther without my friend here to diagnose how bad i effed it up thanks for all the help and suggestions and i will post as soon as i got it did

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
oh yeah and as far as i know this is the first time the tranny has been pulled so everything should be stock under there, the truck only had 35,000 on it when we got it about 3-4 years ago, and we have never pulled it. can i replace those retarded torx head bolts on the drive shaft clamps with normal bolts? maybe have to go grade 8? what do you think