Offroading an idi

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, I never thought about the starter shorting out like that after hitting water! I guess I better not park my scout near any little cars after wheeling! I always leave it in gear

On a "real" boat, had that happen to customers who took on water at their slips. Salt water is an awesome conductor. In one case, the boat ran until the water got up to the dip stick.... needless to say.... time to rebuild. The craziest emulsification I ever saw though, was in that tranny. Because water got in through the breather, even though not engaged, the pump circulated it all into peanut butter.

Awesome video... I miss Panama. Is the Canal expansion finished?? I did some 4 wheeling there in the ditch too, just after they started cutting the Canal... does a Nissan Sentra rental car count as 4 wheeling? All 4 wheels stayed on the ground.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The canal is still under expansion. Development down here is pretty crazy. We'll have fewer places to wheel as they keep paving the trails over.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Development is a double edged sword, good for economic reasons, not so good for others. Controlled and well thought out plans in growth economies is needed.

I love Panama, especially the coastal regions with some of the old Spanish fort ruins. We mostly did the Pacific Coast side runs. Beautiful country and awesome attitudes..... well.... except that one time I was there and Nicaragua was in play with the CIA.... Central Americans weren't so friendly to us ******'s at that time. Somewhat understandable.

Speaking of camp outs, we took a couple of old PBR's up the Ditch and camped out along its shorelines.... HOLY CRAP!!! The silence...... except it wasn't silent! Talk about creeped out with the bats buzzing around at night, all the rustling in the brush, bugs dancing on your face, all in 110% blackness. So dark even flashlight light got sucked into blackness. LOLOLOL!! And I slept on the boat deck!! Yeeeeah, took some getting used to, but one of the best times ever. Highly recommended travel destination.

Thanks for the vid! Really awesome stuff!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow......
the jeep tow from 3:30 onwards was awesome! talk about get in, ****, eat my soot and hang on!
i'm sure it's been asked before but where did you get the snorkel?
one more thing, what's the story behind the CC hiding behind you in the parking lot?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOVE IT!!!!!:hail

I'd love to come down there and go for a trail ride with you all. Looks like a great time.

Thanks for sharing.

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG...Cut bogger time maybe?

Ford trucks....pulling H(J)eeps out since HEEPS where invented!

nice ride, looks like a blast and all I can say is KUDOS to a job well done...

one question...might a little larger PTO winch be a tad better and less stress on chargine system?

again...

Ford trucks....pulling H(J)eeps out since HEEPS where invented!

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is basically a one ton jeep. He manages to break the front axles and was left in 2wd. Same size tires as my truck, and a bigblock chevy. Runs good.... When its not broke:sly. He has a pto wich wichnhelped out alot.
I run a 220 amp alternator and golf cart solenoids for the winch, so i'm good winching with a 16.5k winch. My voltage doesn't fall below 12v.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Well, at least you had the decency to drag that jeep through the water to clean it after you tossed all that mud on it!

;Sweet

Very cool stuff! Thanks for posting that for us, although I am more than just a little jealous! Only dirt out here my truck sees is when I drive by hiway construction, and they have dust blowing through the air...

:rolleyes:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
see you have the same issue as me. when somone else breaks, CALL THE DIESEL! he can drag em out. lol