Offroading an idi

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought of a cc setup also, but afterchecking out the frame differences, i figured it would be less work to move the rear axle forward on a cc frame than swapping cabs. You would have to make a xmember to mount the cab on a shorter frame, and would probably have to notch the body to clear the kick up the shorter frame has.
Moving the rear axle forward involves flaming the rivets out of the spring mounts and bolting them on forward on the frame. Then cut whatever you don't want off.
Body flex on the otherhand is inevitable, unless you box the whole frame. Or build a pivoting mount at one end of the cab to allow for frame flex. Sort of what i did with the bed on my truck.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
rear springs are way different. the pin is not even close to where the pin is on the front ones. i already looked into that crazy.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Holy crap, I never thought about the starter shorting out like that after hitting water! I guess I better not park my scout near any little cars after wheeling! I always leave it in gear

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok watched the videos, got it...looks awesome pushing that deeper water.. love the turbo whistle coming down at the end of that 2nd video, i wanna get mine sounding like that..

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:Thumbs Up Someone else who wheels the fullsize!!!! What is that snorkel supposed to be on? I am about to do the PVC pipe and tractor filter setup since I can't find one that looks like it even comes remotely close to fitting. Looks like you have put a lot of time and thought into the truck and it shows.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:Thumbs Up Someone else who wheels the fullsize!!!! What is that snorkel supposed to be on? I am about to do the PVC pipe and tractor filter setup since I can't find one that looks like it even comes remotely close to fitting. Looks like you have put a lot of time and thought into the truck and it shows.

FYI here is my PVC snorkel
You must be registered for see images attach

and inside the engine compartment

I cut the top portion of small 2lb extinguishers off that hook up by the handle. The remaining portion was used as a mount and allows the hose clamp to wrap around the pipe and secure it to the extinguisher mount. It works very well. I have 3 mounts two on the fender and one on the A pillar

I know this is not as sleek as the one the OP has but it's in my budget and most likely everyones skill set. Can be repaired very easily.

This is of course on my last engine a 5.8 and is 3" ID tube, I have since purchased 4'ID and will be remaking the setup accordingly.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question to you sir is what length are those front springs eye to eye? I have a multi leaf pack but it's shorter than I had hoped when I got it. 49" I'd rather have a similar pack in 54" length to make my front spring for the Bronco...but eh...got em use em...maybe

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riotwarrior, Beautiful country you live in. This is pretty similar to what I am thinking about doing. I am running a carb'd I-6 so my plan is to get and intake hat and run it out the passenger side, route it up about a foot or so above the hood and run a filter similar to the oil bath styles.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My snorkel set up is for a 2005 nissan patrol diesel if i'm not mistaken. I had to run a hydrobooster so the 3.5"hose would clear and reach the factory air filter.

As for the spring length, it should be close stock. I'll have to measure to be sure.

The shackles are pretty vertical, so the springs can't ge too sifferent from stock.
I did extend the shackle reverse bracket to capture more of the frame, cause I did get a couple of cracks going around the stock shackle
mount when it was as it came from Sky manufacturing.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does follow nicely, thanks for posting. Now I just need to figure out if I am going to run intake pipe from the passenger side over or not.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under a 100 bucks.. plus a filter of your choice...or spendy for the premade ones....considering I'll be changing when I do an exo cage...PVC tubing n fittings all the way for this cheap phreak!

I have to admit the pre made ones look damn fine, but I wonder are they large enough inside dimensionally to flow enough air? 4' PVC ought to be just fine eh?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 is plenty. Im using 4" on my truck albeit is only shorty ram air, would be easy to notch the hood for a snorkle :p

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originaly bought that snorkel made for land rover discovery, But turned around and sold it because the outlet for the hose was significantly smaller than the air filter inlet for the air filter.

It is a nice design and fits better, but the outlet shape is a long narrow oval. I´m sure it would be fine for a gasser engine, but diesels need plenty more air.