Odd Transfer case / E4OD behavior. Not broken, just curious and looking for info

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the title said, nothing's broken today, I just found a weird "glitch" and I'm curious if anyone has an explanation for it. For those that don't read sigs, my truck is a '92 with the E4OD.

Anyways, the other day I was playing around with my transfer case shifter, moving it through the gears just to keep the linkage from sticking due to non-use. It was a fight shifting it in to neutral and low range, and another fight to get it back out, but after some cursing and brute force it cooperated and now it moves freely again. Everything works, all is well, this is not the curious part.

The curious part? During the fight to get it back out of low range / neutral, the shifter kinda got stuck in an awkward spot (stuck once in neutral, and stuck once in a spot where the 4x4 and Low Range dash lights were OFF but the T-case itself was still in Low). I had my transmission in neutral with my foot on the brake; I wanted to take my foot off the brake so I could move and get a better angle on the T-case shifter, so I put the transmission in Park. The INSTANT the transmission shifter got to Park, the parking prawl in the transmission began grinding REALLY loud. I put it back in neutral and the noise went away, tried park again and it did the same thing. Once I got the T-case shifter unstuck and moving through the gears, my transmission had no issue going in to Park.

While I'm thinking about it, last year I was going through the same ritual, moving it through the gears to keep the linkage free. That time, I had trouble getting it in to 4-Low because something inside the T-case was spinning and if I didn't give it a quick, strong throw in to 4-Low it would just grind and not go in. That was with the truck stationary, and I tried it with the transmission both in park and in neutral.

So yeah, I'm just curious what that was about. If my truck is stationary, how does the T-case have any effect on the transmission's parking gear? For that matter, if the transmission is in park or neutral, how is it having any effect on the transfer case? If the transmission is in park or neutral shouldn't there be zero output through the transmission? :dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That was a ID10T error.
When going back to park, it started spinning when you went past Reverse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a ID10T error.
When going back to park, it started spinning when you went past Reverse.

Man, I've been trying for years to clear that damn ID10T code, but it just won't go away. Maybe I got a lemon? :rotflmao

Continuing the pursuit of knowledge though, if that brief spin-up is what caused the parking gear to grind, wouldn't it grind every time I shift from neutral / drive to park? It only did it when I was messing with the T-case, that's what has me confused.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was probably something in the transfer case itself spinning since you were "between gears" in it that was clashing making the noise you heard when you went from n to r to p. Since when your normally in a "range" in the transfer case one way or another then you never hear it otherwise. Transfer cases make strange noises in low range. In hank in my sig when I'm in low range and push the clutch in no matter what gear I'm in I get a thud from my transmission or transfer case as it hops out of gear, but only in low range. Makes no sense to me, but doesn't really hurt anything.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should spray the linkage with wd-40 then grease it.that will solve your issues.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Man, I've been trying for years to clear that damn ID10T code, but it just won't go away. Maybe I got a lemon? :rotflmao

Continuing the pursuit of knowledge though, if that brief spin-up is what caused the parking gear to grind, wouldn't it grind every time I shift from neutral / drive to park? It only did it when I was messing with the T-case, that's what has me confused.
No.
Transfer case was in neutral or between gears, allowing it to spin. Can't do that in 2h, 4h, or 4l because it's all meshed together.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.
Transfer case was in neutral or between gears, allowing it to spin. Can't do that in 2h, 4h, or 4l because it's all meshed together.

Okay, now I've got it. I'm a little thick sometimes, but I can be taught. Thank you for the lesson, this question has been driving my monkey brain crazy for a week :idiot:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Most of the owners manual say with a automatic, you may have to shut the engine off to go from Neutral back into 2h, 4h, 4l.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online