Odd trade oportunity (comes with a 5.9)

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a vehicle I posted in the trade forum of craigslist, well somone called yesterday and asked if I would trade an entimens bread truck for it.:rotflmao

Then I got to thinking, what engine is in that truck as I posted a month back I'm starting to look for a 5.9 to swap into my 94 ford in place of the idi.

I called him back and I asked what engine is in it, he said a 6 cyl;Sweet then I asked if it was a 5.9 cummins and he yelled to his buddy "is that thing a cummings" so obviously he has no idea about it but his buddy said ya.

At first he said it was an early 90s truck but then he said its actuly a 2001 that is pretty beat up. Oh and its automatic:puke:

Either way, I figured I can possibly us the engine in my truck then take the back half of the truck and make a huge flat bed dualy trailer:D

So what should I do? If it is a 2001 truck is that a 24 valve? How can I tell? If it is a 24 valve is it no good for a swap?:dunno

Thanks so much guys this should be cool.

-Rob

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A lot of those bread trucks will have Cummins 4bt's in them. Cant say I've seen them come with Cummins 6bt's but I'm not doubting you. I would definatly do it, as even cummins 4bt's fetch a good coin.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
More than likely it's got a 4bt in it as this was the most common engine - not saying they didn't get it with the 6 banger but it's just that most came with the 4 cyl. As said the 4bt is sought after engine as well - especially for the swap into the smaller vehicles.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A ford ranger with a 4bt has always been a dream of mine....

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So either way it sounds like a deal wheather its a 4bt or 6bt. If it is a 6 and it is newer than 98 what should I do? What are the differences? I assume that would be a 24 valve, is it electricaly injected? What about power and fuel economy compared to the 92-98 5.9?

-Rob

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most computer controled medium duty trucks have a very simple electrical system, a lot have the computer mounted close to or on the engine with minimal wiring through the truck. I'd buy it and swap the whole thing into something, you have a little wiring to do, but probibly nothing too complicated.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ther was a write up in one of the diesel power rags.. a bloke 4bt'd hie Early Bronc.. had it twisted up to 450/700.. still pulled 25 ish mpg-wise on 42's (44's?)..(bio/#2/WMO/WVO.. thing didn't care

sssssssssoooooooo.. even if a 4 bt.. plenty of power available to move that Ferd around with.... and some bloke have 4bt'd a full size in hopes and attaining a 30+ mpg drivearounder.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a 24 valve I would pass it by. 98-02 24V's suck and aren't worth more than a grand in running shape, well $500 for a good VP44, $300 for the turbo and $200 for the long block.

4BT's worth 4-10 times what your average six goes for today. It's hard to get more than a grand for a six cummins today unless it's a 215HP motor or a commonrail. It's near impossible to find a solid 4BT for less than $2000 for a 105 motor and P7100 engines are $4000+

If it's a 24V/auto truck it likely has a 545 Allison. You don't want one. If by some miracle it has a 2000 series Allison then it is very much worth the trade, but bear in mind you'll be doing some serious massaging to fit an Allison into your Ford.

Any Cummins engine regardless of year and make is entirely self contained, electronic or mechanical they are stupid simple to hook up and operate. The VP44's on 98-02's are just plain junk though. I would never swap one into anything unless I was just going to sell it.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that trade never went anywhere, the guy never called me back, ended up trading for a jet ski + cash instead. I did however use said cash to buy a complete but broken 95 12 valve. Has a hole in the block so figured I can find a block and do a build.