Odd Problem...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At times I notice when I park my truck on a non-flat surface and it leaning (left or right) and then start it, it will miss, sputter and put out some smoke at the tail pipe for a few seconds. And this can be if it's sitting off for only a hour or so. Almost like some glow plugs are not lighting or maybe it lost a little prime...but why (only) when it's parked leaning towards one side or another :dunno
Note...however, dead cold start on flat ground it's perfect. cookoo

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys...new fuel filter last weekend as the filter warning light came on the dash >filter only had less than 5000 miles on it >my guess bad fuel clogged it.

If air got in...wouldn't fuel come out under pressure somewhere?

Last edited:

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, fuel wouldn't come out under pressure. Think of it this way...your entire fuel supply line system is under vacuum from the tank to the lift pump. This is because the fuel supply is "in front" of the pump intake. That means a vacuum is supplied to get the fuel to the pump. If there is a hole in the fuel line system, it will suck in air, not leak fuel. Air can cause the fuel system to fail as pumps don't pump air very well, and can actually stop the flow of fuel.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, fuel wouldn't come out under pressure. Think of it this way...your entire fuel supply line system is under vacuum from the tank to the lift pump. This is because the fuel supply is "in front" of the pump intake. That means a vacuum is supplied to get the fuel to the pump. If there is a hole in the fuel line system, it will suck in air, not leak fuel. Air can cause the fuel system to fail as pumps don't pump air very well, and can actually stop the flow of fuel.
I fully understand what you're saying about the fuel being under a "vacuum" to the lift pump and drawing in air. However, when the engine is shut off and the lift pump's not pulling the fuel...there's fuel still just sitting in the system >wouldn't fuel weep out at the location in the system where air was being sucked in?
AND...why did this miss/sputter and smoke at start up only happen a few times when the truck was parked on a left or right lean?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.