odd issue.... sound system vs. hydroboost

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a minor issue, just annoying.

im getting hydroboost feed back through my stereo......

odd right??

it wont do it when I have the powersteering on the lock.
but I had to hit the brakes hard today, and a slight buzz came out of the right front door speaker.
repeated hard brake condition at a dead stop and it did it again.

stereo =
7 band EQ
blue tooth adapter
500 watt 4 way channel amp to the rear and front speakers.
700 watt 2 way amp to the 10" kicker subs.

amps have dedicated grounds directly to the battery.

RCA and power wires are ran on separate sides of the rig.

should there be a ground strap on the hydroboost itself?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But there's nothing electrical in the hydroboost. It should be grounded through the firewall.

Is it possible you're getting belt slip when you mash on the brakes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange. In my car I have two Rockford fosgate 15's and a 1500 watt amp and a separate 500 watt amp for the regular 6x9's and whenever my auxiliary cable isn't plugged in the head unit just right I get engine rpm feedback through the right side of my speakers that whistles like a Turbo. Except I don't have a turbo and I have no idea how it gets there or why my auxiliary cable being a little loose causes it to happen.

Totally unrelated probably but the strangest things can cause this crap.

Are you using Bluetooth from your phone to play the music and not an aux cord then I take it from your post, so that rules out, but I wonder if when your breaking if one of your input cables to an amp out output cables from the headunit is moving just enough to cause a buzz.

Hard one to identify there for sure.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question on my part, but are you sure it's the hydroboost causing the sound? My truck has something similar going on, when braking there's a slight buzz from one of the right-side speakers. It's done it for as long as I've owned it, before and after hydroboost. I figured out that it was related to my trailer brake controller; whenever I brake, a little LED on the controller lights up and the speakers buzz. If I sit in park and activate the trailer brake controller by hand, lo and behold, the speakers buzz.

It might be something to do with the trucks tail lights, or the controller itself, or anything inbetween. Who knows, I never went any further than that, it's a mystery that I have no intention of solving. That's a bit above my skill level.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accessory pop is associated with one particular electrical event in the vehicle. This can be switching on your turn signal, headlights, brakes, windshield wipers or even the rear window defrost. These high current drawing accessories are causing a voltage spike that is traveling into your car audio equipment with the result being heard as a sharp pop. Adding a small bi-polar capacitor (0.47 uF) between the accessory's power wire and ground will often absorb these surges. You may need to place the capacitor on the load or the power side of the switch (maybe both). See the diagram below to see how this is done. Note that the diagram is slightly different if the accessory has a relay in the circuit.

You must be registered for see images

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audio_noise_troubleshooting.html

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm I have a capacitor, I shall install it and see if that makes a difference.
will check RCA's too
will also add a ground strap to the hydroboost, I don't have it grounded.

thanks folks!

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/HCE0oBlxShY

This is what my car does if any of the cables are off just a bit. It's usually the auxiliary cable into the head unit though. It's kinda fun if you got the windows down to do it and confuse someone into wondering if you have some giant Turbo on a 2.2 ecotech :D

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I had the same issue but mine would completely shut my music off when I hit the brakes. I don't have hydro boost and it finally went away

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always been told to keep the ground wire as short as possible on your amp. You could try running like a 1' long 4ga straight to the body. I've used rear strut bolts, trunk hinge bolts, and even bench seat mounts as grounds with great luck. Always did it that way to keep the wire short. Also make sure that the power and remote wire for the amp doesn't run up the same side of the truck as the rca cables do, that can cause interference

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

93banksidi

Reaction score
Ground eq, head unit, or anything else sound system wise to the same spot as the amps are and 99% of feedback will be gone. Learned the trick when I swapped systems in my boat(such bad engine feedback stereo couldn't be ran with engine) and have done it to every other vehicle since.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you hear is called alternator whine. It is most commonly caused by bad grounding. Better quality amps and head units have filters for this, as it was a common problem in the early days of car stereo.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you hear is called alternator whine. It is most commonly caused by bad grounding. Better quality amps and head units have filters for this, as it was a common problem in the early days of car stereo.

this issue is not alternator specific.
I have delt with that issue before.
the sound only exists when im ******* the brakes.

im leaning twards the RCA cables.
i only have 1 set of RCA's from the EQ, to the 4 way amp, then there are T's going to the sub amp.
i will be running 2 different sets once funds allow.

working on multiple projects sucks sometimes.
on one hand, i have enough work to keep me busy, on the other hand, i don't have the funds to do them all at once!