odd ball build time!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Well,I was Given(AKA FREE) a postal jeep.DJ-5.Real nice body.Rust in the drip rails but not through,spot under the port tail light rusty.Floor pan solid enough.Some small holes.6 banger scattered.Rods through the block.Now what small diesel can I put in there that will hook to a fully mechanical transmission?Something where I can use a floor shifter and only have to hook up the backup light wire to.No computer crap.Thought a benz setup but those are so expensive.Maybe find an old rabbit or maybe even a little deutz or perkins.....I really wish I could shoehorn a little 2-71 in there but that would be a bit much!

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
o not know if you even have them down there but there are these little light plants the name brand is amida that have these little mitsubishi diesels in them all mechanical i do know they are a dim a dozedn up here unfortunately i haven't been able to find much about them but i do know they are pretty much fire and forget i have seen them run non-stop for like 6 months 100% @1800 to 2500 rpm hassle free I am trying to chase info down on the engines as i am considerig as a drop in for a ranger.

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White-Hercules DT3.7 Series I. I'm in the process of installing one in a '68 CJ5. I picked up two of them complete from fan to transmission(T19) for about 2/3 the cost of the cheapest 4BT I could find. They're cheap. Supposedly ~125 lb lighter than 4BT. The ones I have were in early '80s Ford stepvans, labeled Ford Power Products on the rocker cover but with the White ID plate on the passenger side of the block. They have an adapter on the back that adapts the engine to small-block Ford bellhousing pattern.

The series I makes similar power to the Cummins 4B even though they are turbo. Nice thing is they'll deal with altitude better due to the turbo, obviously. They don't take too much to upping the power due to lack of a few critical changes between series I and II. Series II has factory power ratings on par with 4BT but also have asking prices on par with 4BT.

I don't know where the DJ lies in the dimension areas.
The W-H will just fit between the firewall and the front cross-member of the pre-'71 CJ5. I did clearance my firewall because I had some other things running back there but it's not a requirement. The postal grill should give plenty of room for a radiator. I used a '74 grill and a generic aluminum radiator to move the radiator forward enough to use an engine driven fan. I kept the close ratio T19 that came with the engine and this one is 2x4 for now, just like a DJ...

Ken

RedTruck

Reaction score
Ken,

Haven't seen you around in a while. Do you have any more information on this build? Any pictures of the engine?

Thank you,

Paul

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Ken that sounds like a sweet build, Jeep actually put a pirkins in CJ's for a few years but it was rare. a 4bt is nice but $$$$ sounds like the White-Hercules DT3.7 Series might be nice option.

there is a guy on pirate4x4 who did some great documentation of putting a izuzu diesel in a wrangler.