NV4500 in 03 250

twofazed

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the site. In the process of dropping a 96 12v Cummins in my ford replacing a 5.4v8 gasser. I've always wanted my truck to be standard so now is the time. I have the dodge NV4500 that came with the engine and transfer case so it should all bolt in with only crossmember and driveline changes. My current problem is transmission issues. I would like to leave my auto column, and just mask the hole for the shifter and cover the PRD123 indicator.
Do I leave the shifter in park?
I looked at a scrapyard truck like mine but standard, the column is way more to the drivers side to make room for the clutch. however I saved the bracket and clutch/brake assembly from the dodge, can i just scab that to fit? and leave my column?
What's the pcm everyone talks about, wiring isn't my forte, the mechanical bit is. All of the mounting, cutting etc. is no problem, it's these small questions I have. I don't want stupid check engine lights etc etc. Being diesel 12v and 5speed will I even need my computer anymore? I have manual transfer case, no power anything? Thanks guys.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well since the shifter has to be in park for the key to turn I would say leave it in park or disable that feature.

The dash should be driven either from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) or ECM (Engine Control Module) then you will probably have to lie to the computer to get it to run the gauges correctly in that something will have to be hooked up. A wiring diagram will help you there as in Coolant temp sensor will have to moved from old engine to new etc....

As for running the speedo - I'm not sure how you will make that work because I don't know how or where the stock one reads from. I think the stock on one a dodge 4x4 reads from the rear of the transfer case but dont quote me on that because mine was a 2wd and it took it from the output shaft on the tranny.

You are correct in that the 2nd gen cummins doesn't need a computer to run. I will only need for the fuel shut off solenoid to be turned on - which is a dual coil. What happens is when the key is turned to the "ON" position the first coil fires but it's not strong enough to actually turn the fuel on, then when the key is moved to the start position it will fire the second coil which when both are pulling it can move the plunger, then once the key it returned to the ON position then the second coil shuts off leaving just the first one "ON". The first coil has enough umph to it to hold the plunger up but not enough to actually turn on the fuel.